Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

I am not the main attraction at the zoo!!!

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 20 Replies

Okay, so I am a teller supervisor at a bank. The community I work in is predominantly Jewish. I cut my hair last year and started getting bored with it so about a month ago I got a sew in weave... My customers were so intrigued with it. 

Several of my customers asked "did you straighten your hair?"

Yes because my hair was so nappy and short that when I straightened it it came down to my shoulders..

Another customer asked if they can touch it. Another customer asked how did they get the hair in because it looked so real..

But what put the icing on the cake is when my customer asked me to lift my hair so she can see!!!!!!!!!!

I'm soooooo annoyed!!!!!

Before

After

Angelique Laila 10/05/06  Christian Ronald 02/13/09  Annette London 07/16/10

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hendersoneve
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow your customers must be REAL comfortable around you!!!! 

charnel07
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I'm really nice to them but at no point do I make them think it's okay to ask me these questions. I've been giving them answers like NO, and no I won't do that, that's personal..... But I do feel like my managers make it as if it's okay. When one of my customers referred to me as "colored" my manager said "oh just ignore it."  Needless to say I'm actively looking for a new job. 

Quoting hendersoneve:

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

You need to be! 

Quoting charnel07:

I'm really nice to them but at no point do I make them think it's okay to ask me these questions. I've been giving them answers like NO, and no I won't do that, that's personal..... But I do feel like my managers make it as if it's okay. When one of my customers referred to me as "colored" my manager said "oh just ignore it."  Needless to say I'm actively looking for a new job. 

Quoting hendersoneve:

charnel07
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Quoting Bunsmommy:

You need to be! 

Quoting charnel07:

Quoting hendersoneve:

I've tried to hang in there but things have gotten increasingly worse. I've been with this bank for 6 years. I've only been at this particular location for 1 1/2. It's a totally different world at this branch. 

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this
That's crazy. Id probably pose the question to the next customer: "how would you feel if I or multiple people came up to you as if you're a pet, wanting to get in your personal space and TOUCH you??"
What gets me is why do they choose to ask a teller (a stranger) instead of someone closer... friend or coworker.
That's just weird your managers wouldn't volunteer to say ...something.
hendersoneve
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh no bueno!!! I need you to get out of there!!!

charnel07
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

My managers find nothing wrong with it. In fact a lot of the time they say I get annoyed to fast or I need to find a different way to reply. I told them " I am being as professional as possible, they should be lucky I'm not cursing anyone out!" 

This branch has "higher clientele" meaning more money, So they get away with murder. I told my managers I can bite my tongue when someone has an attitude, I can't bite my tongue when I'm being disresepected. 

Quoting leaniece:

That's crazy. Id probably pose the question to the next customer: "how would you feel if I or multiple people came up to you as if you're a pet, wanting to get in your personal space and TOUCH you??"
What gets me is why do they choose to ask a teller (a stranger) instead of someone closer... friend or coworker.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting charnel07:

My managers find nothing wrong with it. In fact a lot of the time they say I get annoyed to fast or I need to find a different way to reply. I told them " I am being as professional as possible, they should be lucky I'm not cursing anyone out!" 

This branch has "higher clientele" meaning more money, So they get away with murder. I told my managers I can bite my tongue when someone has an attitude, I can't bite my tongue when I'm being disresepected. 

Quoting leaniece:

Yup, rich white folks= free pass.

They get to act stupid, racist, ignorant and the like, while we're suppposed to shut up and smile, cuz massa is watchin!

CinnamonBunns84
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I use to deal with the samething in retail. "Is that your real hair, is that a wig, can you take that off for me, how did your hair grow so fast?" But now we are in 2013. There is enough going on in the media, reality and in other cultures, for someone not to know extentions is why my hair grew 10 inches in a couple of days.......ignorance
nelliesmommy
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM

That would annoy me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN