Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All white jury except for one Hispanic, All women? Where were the black jurors? Where were the men? Okay what year is this again 2013 or 1957?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am trying to understand why the jury was not more diverse? Why were there no blacks or men selected to be apart of the jury? It seems to me that the prosecution should have made sure that there was atleast one or two blacks selected as jurors. Jury selection needs to be something taken to the supreme court. It should be mandatory that it is diverse and includes atleast one black. 

I am trying to figure out what year are we in? Looks like our society is slipping back towards an ugly time in our history....

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chillisarah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I know and also why only 6 jurors instead of 12?

goins1119
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Something about the whole set up just doesn't sound right to me. First it took the world to protest before they would even apprehend him. Then when they go to trial they have a jury made up of alot of white woman and one hispanic. Since he is Hispanic that small drop of divesity really doesn't count. I could have understood better if they had atleast one black woman or man on the jury. Yea and why only six when most trials have 12. I think the prosecutor was in on it too. Just doesn't sound right....

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I've been trying to figure that out as well. Why only women and why only white except one? Even if  2 there were 2 white men I could understand but I don't understand the purpose behind the all women jury.

Maybe to showcase the fact that he is white? He is more white then he is Hispanic as his father is white. So maybe it was to represent this fact? 5 white women and 1 Hispanic woman. I think there were no black jurors due to the fact that he would have been most likely found guilty

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Be prepared for the trolls to come. This is a hot button issue from them... They are "trying" to express it in my post now smh.

I agree. That jury was not a jury of peers.
Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Jury of his peers! Why not any men?
kaylamom2004
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Because it's what BOTH ATTORNEY'S both agreed to when going through jury selection.

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Both lawyers had input on the jury selection. It's not like the jury was randomly assigned.

Why not take your unhappiness up with the prosecutors? They clearly did a shitty job with this trial. 

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
And it begins....
nikabear
by Mrs.Bellamy on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
So sick of these trolling bishes...... It's not black history month so why are they here??????
goins1119
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I just don't understand the jury selection and why the prosecutor agreed to it. If the prosecution is trying to prove in front of Zimmermans peers that he committed a crime, shouldn't alteast one of those peers have been black? Shouldn't one of those peers have been a man. Our society is not made up of only women. And since the victim was a black man, one of the jurors should have been black. So if people who disagree with me can truly explain this to me then I would appreciate the information. It just makes me wonder if the prosecution was really on Martin's side and was the trial just a way to keep the public from rioting....

Quoting leaniece:

Be prepared for the trolls to come. This is a hot button issue from them... They are "trying" to express it in my post now smh.

I agree. That jury was not a jury of peers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)