Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preparing for Christmas

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM
  • 24 Replies

Yes it is July and i am preparing for Christmas NOW. 

Why..because all of my friends (18-21) have children and swear they broke when Christmas comes and dont get their kids shit. So i think to myself hmmm, you knew this day was coming why did you wait all year to start checking prices and getting your money in order. 

My girls (for those of you who dont know) are not biologically mine but i have custody and this will be my 1st Christmas as their full time mommy. Now my 4yr old (she turned 4 on sunday, everybody say HAPPY BIRTHDAY KENNEDY) i have had since she was 5days old but never had to do Christmas for her, my big sister had legal custody of her at the time and i just lived there and physically cared for her, did all the christmas shopping. So i got a few things but i was never solely responsible for her Christmas. 

They arent used to big Christmas. My fiance' mother still gives her 20 yr old son big Christmas She went all out for the both of us like we were still little kids lol. 

I noticed that my sister buys so much shit for her kids on Christmas, stuff they didnt even ask for and she ends up wasting a lot of money...so my question to you momma's is how do you guys do Christmas? When do you start shopping? Ive never had to do black friday shopping but should i start? Do you guys budget for Christmas? Do you get everything the kids ask for or just a few? C'mon tell me your secrets! 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leaniece
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I want to start off by saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY KENNEDY! My DD just turned 2 saturday.
As far as Christmas. We have four small kids and it can get expensive!! We try to shop during the year for items that go in sale : winter stuff during the summer time, sales that are currently going on for toys, etc. We try to get everything the older kids (6 and 5) want-- but if its too extravagant or they just don't need it, then we compensate for something mor reasonable. My kids aren't hard to please and shopping for them is easy... Now lol. I may do a little shopping on that Black Friday week-- but I never go Black Friday shopping. The crowds are too much and every time I tried to go shopping at 6 am, everything is either picked over or the lines are too long. Being that this is going to be my 7th Christmas with my family-- I think I have the Christmas shopping down. I love Christmas time. Don't be too overwhelmed, and try not to procrastinate. You'll be fine. 😄
SoPoetic
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I think my strategy this year will be to put everything on Layaway lmao

Quoting leaniece:

I want to start off by saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY KENNEDY! My DD just turned 2 saturday.
As far as Christmas. We have four small kids and it can get expensive!! We try to shop during the year for items that go in sale : winter stuff during the summer time, sales that are currently going on for toys, etc. We try to get everything the older kids (6 and 5) want-- but if its too extravagant or they just don't need it, then we compensate for something mor reasonable. My kids aren't hard to please and shopping for them is easy... Now lol. I may do a little shopping on that Black Friday week-- but I never go Black Friday shopping. The crowds are too much and every time I tried to go shopping at 6 am, everything is either picked over or the lines are too long. Being that this is going to be my 7th Christmas with my family-- I think I have the Christmas shopping down. I love Christmas time. Don't be too overwhelmed, and try not to procrastinate. You'll be fine. 😄

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Lol. If that helps with the money situation-- hey, go for it. Getting the presents (or toys and clothes) in advance helped a lot though.
Do you know what your kids like or want? My girls love baby dolls and hello kitty lol. My boys- superheroes and trains!

Quoting SoPoetic:

Quoting leaniece:

akingsmom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Happy Belated lil one!! :-)

Well I've only been doing Christmas for a couple of years now,but I just wait n get him a couple,of things and thats that. But I dont do Santa or decorating or anything like that. Just a few gifts n a good meal. Btw my King is two so these are the easy years as far as Christmas go lol
Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I start in Sept/Novemberish!

SoPoetic
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM

My daughters seem to believe that hello kitty is evil. Idk who taught them that but they claim she has no mouth so that she cant tell the devils secrets O_o.

They have barely any toys. When i got custody of them they came without clothes nor toys, so we spent all of our money on clothes, and making their room look beautiful, their room looks like something off of HGTV we really put our hearts into it. So Christmas will be all about toys. 

10yr old asked for A nintendo 3DS, play make up (daddy said no) a baby alive that poops (eww) and an Ipod, but i said no to the ipod because the 3ds can play music.

The 4yr old asked for dolls and a bike and a new kitchenset (technically dad asked for a new kitchen set) we bought her 1 for her birthday and he said it looks cheap and flimsey (4bucks from walmart) so he wants to get her the huge stainless steal looking one from Toys rus, that one is 176. She had a kitchenset at my sister house, its her favorite toy in the world lol. Im so sick of eating fake food tho. 

Quoting leaniece:

Lol. If that helps with the money situation-- hey, go for it. Getting the presents (or toys and clothes) in advance helped a lot though.
Do you know what your kids like or want? My girls love baby dolls and hello kitty lol. My boys- superheroes and trains!

Quoting SoPoetic:

Quoting leaniece:

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I start and finish in early December. I refuse to give any thought to Christmas until after school shopping, Halloween, and Thanksgiving is overl
leaniece
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Lol @ hello kitty being evil! My SIL bought my son a kitchen set. He loved it!! He gave it to his younger sister-- now she plays with all the time. **i had a baby alive doll!!** it pooped and peed. I loooved my doll. I'm sure your kids are going to have a great Christmas.

Quoting SoPoetic:

My daughters seem to believe that hello kitty is evil. Idk who taught them that but they claim she has no mouth so that she cant tell the devils secrets O_o.

They have barely any toys. When i got custody of them they came without clothes nor toys, so we spent all of our money on clothes, and making their room look beautiful, their room looks like something off of HGTV we really put our hearts into it. So Christmas will be all about toys. 

10yr old asked for A nintendo 3DS, play make up (daddy said no) a baby alive that poops (eww) and an Ipod, but i said no to the ipod because the 3ds can play music.

The 4yr old asked for dolls and a bike and a new kitchenset (technically dad asked for a new kitchen set) we bought her 1 for her birthday and he said it looks cheap and flimsey (4bucks from walmart) so he wants to get her the huge stainless steal looking one from Toys rus, that one is 176. She had a kitchenset at my sister house, its her favorite toy in the world lol. Im so sick of eating fake food tho. 

Quoting leaniece:

Quoting SoPoetic:

Quoting leaniece:

MomRocs1102
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Ds writes his list top 5-8 toys and the rest is clothes and sneakers. This will be dd`s first christmas.
SoPoetic
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Im a sneaker head (specifically Jordans) and all the best jordans drop right before Christmas..so thats usually all i ask for is Jay's for christmas lol. I got the Cool grey's and the bred 11's for Christmas, along with a pair of uggs, a pair of tims, and everything else i barely paid attention to lol. My 10yr old wants a pair of Uggs for christmas, ima tell her to get rid of a toy then cause uggs cost like 140-160...and then she wants some Polo shirts. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)