Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Who is “Uncle Tom?" exactly?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 8 Replies
3 moms liked this

Most people seem to think of a “Tom” as a sell-out, someone who has benefited from turning their back on the black community or look down at others in our community who are not as fortunate. But for the millions of people out there who are loosely throwing the term our way, a vast majority of them do not actually know who “Tom” is. People forget Tom was/is a noble character, and obviously it’s true that history has not been kind to him. While he appears "happy" to be a slave living on the bottom and thrilled to please his master, the reality could not be further from the truth.You may not like him (or her), but the reality is that Tom wasn’t the bad guy. Being an "Uncle Tom" can be a survival move for some. I think it's insulting to insinuate that we're all crabs in a bucket and that we can only become wealthy/successful by cooperating with "the enemy."

If you have succeeded in spite of life's opposition, more power to you!

clapping

http://www.indianapolisrecorder.com/opinion/article_c7a312c6-05c7-11e3-afe8-0019bb2963f4.html

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I get mad about that term because you can see the person clearly didn't read the book. Also the term is thrown around on people and situations that aren't true
Jantera
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Intelligently spoken.. I like you, you post a lot of good views.. It's always good to read the posts you put on here.. Continue to teach someone who may not no.. And I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone...

Quoting AlliviasMommy:

Most people seem to think of a “Tom” as a sell-out, someone who has benefited from turning their back on the black community or look down at others in our community who are not as fortunate. But for the millions of people out there who are loosely throwing the term our way, a vast majority of them do not actually know who “Tom” is. People forget Tom was/is a noble character, and obviously it’s true that history has not been kind to him. While he appears "happy" to be a slave living on the bottom and thrilled to please his master, the reality could not be further from the truth.You may not like him (or her), but the reality is that Tom wasn’t the bad guy. Being an "Uncle Tom" can be a survival move for some. I think it's an insulting to insinuate that we're all crabs in a bucket and that we can only have become wealthy/successful by cooperating with "the enemy."

clapping

AlliviasMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Thank you. Some things really need to be said.

Quoting Jantera:

Intelligently spoken.. I like you, you post a lot of good views.. It's always good to read the posts you put on here.. Continue to teach someone who may not no.. And I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone...

Quoting AlliviasMommy:

Most people seem to think of a “Tom” as a sell-out, someone who has benefited from turning their back on the black community or look down at others in our community who are not as fortunate. But for the millions of people out there who are loosely throwing the term our way, a vast majority of them do not actually know who “Tom” is. People forget Tom was/is a noble character, and obviously it’s true that history has not been kind to him. While he appears "happy" to be a slave living on the bottom and thrilled to please his master, the reality could not be further from the truth.You may not like him (or her), but the reality is that Tom wasn’t the bad guy. Being an "Uncle Tom" can be a survival move for some. I think it's an insulting to insinuate that we're all crabs in a bucket and that we can only have become wealthy/successful by cooperating with "the enemy."

clapping

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

good question, I know what the term means, but I had no idea it was connected to a real person.

ebbierowe
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Bump....to educate the masses ;-)
mrsary
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Idk either!

Quoting Pink.Sunshine.:

good question, I know what the term means, but I had no idea it was connected to a real person.

AlliviasMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Bump!

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:57 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN