Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

My last ditch effort.

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 30 Replies

So as some of you may know i had to pull Smooch out of school because of my truck breaking down. Hubby has such a weird schedule most days he gets off at 8 and all the daycare centers close over in that school district at 5:30.

They sent her to a school 20 mins from my house because Prek spots are filled at the school across the streets. Originally they did not accept her into prek because she was not at risk for failing Kindergarten, they called me last minute to say they had a spot for her at an elementary school 15-20 mins away from the house. 

I want her to go to PREK because Kennedy lacks social skills. She is extremely smart, very articulate, but she plays by herself because she is not used to being around kids other than my nieces who are almost the same age as her. 

I got a call today from her teacher saying that Kennedy's favorite classmate lives in my original school district which means she isnt far from the house. She was thinking she could car pool with Kennedy and we could arrange something of the sort.

I AM EXTREMELY PROTECTIVE OF MY BABY!

I think this is an obsurd idea and youve got to be 7 kinds of stupid to think im putting my 4yr old in a car with a woman ive never met. Now i may play with my own life but i wont play with my child's. 

I understand the little girl is her classmate but fact of the matter is i dont know her mom, never even seen her.

Df thinks im not making an effort to keep Kennedy in school and that i shut all of his idea's down, he also feels like i dont make myself available to meet the other parents, or i havent made an effort to set up a play date or etc, i just said no. My opinion on the matter is, im a carseat freak. The first time she pulled up to my house and my baby wasnt properly secured in her nautilus id be smacking the hell out of the woman. Im a stickler for bad driving with a child in the car...The first time she zoomed up doing 35 miles per hour in a residential area id be flipping off...Idk if im being a bitch...but I'd rather stay home with my baby and send her to Kindergarten next year in our zone. Im not willing to send her in the car with someone i dont know...and i pretty much did shut that discussion down..

Am i wrong?

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nisha929
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM

You're not wrong at all. I feel you 100% on not wanting to put your baby in the car with a woman you've never met. You arent supposed to do that. Since the child is friends with your little girl, maybe it would be worth it for you to meet the child's mom and get to know her even if you still choose not to go with the carpool idea.

SoPoetic
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I totally dont mind meeting the mom and setting up play dates etc but that dont negate the fact that im not sticking my child in her car anytime soon, idk why Hubby feels like im wrong on this. Like no offense to Ken but i dont want to be in the house with her all day, id love for her to go to school but if im going to risk her life to make that happen she will just have to be one dumb (not that she is dumb at all, but you get what im saying) baby for now. 

Quoting Nisha929:

You're not wrong at all. I feel you 100% on not wanting to put your baby in the car with a woman you've never met. You arent supposed to do that. Since the child is friends with your little girl, maybe it would be worth it for you to meet the child's mom and get to know her even if you still choose not to go with the carpool idea.

Nisha929
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM

As women I think we're just more protective and men think differently than we do so that's probably why he feels like you're wrong. You're not though. I had to laugh at "one dumb baby" but I understand where you're coming from. The situation with her getting to school will work out. It might not happen when you'd like it to but it will in time.   

Quoting SoPoetic:

I totally dont mind meeting the mom and setting up play dates etc but that dont negate the fact that im not sticking my child in her car anytime soon, idk why Hubby feels like im wrong on this. Like no offense to Ken but i dont want to be in the house with her all day, id love for her to go to school but if im going to risk her life to make that happen she will just have to be one dumb (not that she is dumb at all, but you get what im saying) baby for now. 

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

One year isn't going to make or break her. None of my girls went to pre-K.

alisheamonet33
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM

one yr without school will be fine, i totally agree with you , men just trust to dam much sometimes but since she was kennedy's play mate it is a good idea to set up a play date so she can interact with with kids and make some lil friends

SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Nope, you're not wrong at all. Is there public transportation you can take?

SoPoetic
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM

DF says he knows the little girls father and have met her mother once or twice at the store, they have bought phones from him many times and are good customers. I talked to the mom and offered to set up a play date. Im not comfortable with her riding with her but atleast Kennedy will get to play with her friend outside of school. :)

SoPoetic
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

No busses in this boring part of town lol Only in Durham and Gboro. Its a deadzone here lol

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

Nope, you're not wrong at all. Is there public transportation you can take?

inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM

How long will it take to get the truck running?

I don't think prek will make or break her..I don't buy into the theory kids need to go to school for socialization. Socialization happens everyday(at home, in the community, play groups, story time,) if you are the type of parent that gets out of the house.  I agree with your DF it wouldn't hurt to go on play dates and get to know some of the parents at your child's school.

SoPoetic
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM

We arent getting it running. we are going to pay the last 2k owed on it then sale it and get a car..so we should have that done by the end of nov...hopefully.

Quoting inmybizz:

How long will it take to get the truck running?

I don't think prek will make or break her..I don't buy into the theory kids need to go to school for socialization. Socialization happens everyday(at home, in the community, play groups, story time,) if you are the type of parent that gets out of the house.  I agree with your DF it wouldn't hurt to go on play dates and get to know some of the parents at your child's school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN