Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Would you appeal or go on your own for a while? *PIOG*

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM
  • 12 Replies

So I first started to school in the Summer of 2010. I got in way over my head with my classes and my grades for that semester were: B, F, F, F and my GPA was 1.2. In the Spring of 2011 I ended up going back but then had to withdraw due to my dad's unexpected passing. I was put on academic probation/ academic warning. In the summer of 2011 I went back and attended and finished the semester with a C,C,C, F and my GPA was 1.5. I was put on academic suspension.

I took sometime off and didn't go back until last year which was the Fall of 2012 and I was allowed back only when I appealed my suspension status. I ended the semester with an A, C, C and F. The F was in Pyschology and I knew I would fail that class when we were less than halfway through due to my work schedule and not knowing that the exams were done on campus. GPA for the semester was a 2.0

My cumlative GPA is a 1.7 which is has to be at least a 2.0 and I have to have a completion rate of 67%. I am unsure of my completion rate but I am wondering would it even be worth it to appeal?? I know why I failed and I know what steps I need to take to rectify the situation though

I got an email in December letting me know I was terminated due to my cumlative GPA only being a 1.7. I have the option to appeal and go back. I also received an email from the college congratulating me on improving my GPA immensely.

Based on this info would you appeal and if so any ideas on how to structure the appeal letter?

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM
I dont understand why you would appeal. Your gpa is below the 2.0 required, correct?
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM

My cumlative GPA is a 1.7 and it has to be at least a 2.0 yes. I'm appealing so that I can go back to school if approved. I know why I failed the Pysch class and I know what steps I need to take to rectify the situation and get better grades

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

I dont understand why you would appeal. Your gpa is below the 2.0 required, correct?

SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I guess it's worth a shot. All they can tell you is no. I'm glad you got it figured out now though because that's a lot of F's you got. That's a lot of money down the drain.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

My cumlative GPA is a 1.7 and it has to be at least a 2.0 yes. I'm appealing so that I can go back to school if approved. I know why I failed the Pysch class and I know what steps I need to take to rectify the situation and get better grades

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM

All you can do is appeal and hope it goes well. If you credits transfer, that's another route, and one you'll have to be prepared to take if they reject your appeal.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Yea I know. :(  I totally blew like 3 semesters trying to work 2 jobs and take care of my son. I was also taking classes that I intially thought would be a breeze (like Religion) only to find out that it wasn't as easy as I thought or Pysch which was probably the hardest class I've done (besides math)

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

I guess it's worth a shot. All they can tell you is no. I'm glad you got it figured out now though because that's a lot of F's you got. That's a lot of money down the drain.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM

The credits do transfer but with Financial Aid it follows you so if you are termed/suspended at one school than it applies everywhere.

Quoting .Peaches.:

All you can do is appeal and hope it goes well. If you credits transfer, that's another route, and one you'll have to be prepared to take if they reject your appeal.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Quoting SexyDiva19:

The credits do transfer but with Financial Aid it follows you so if you are termed/suspended at one school than it applies everywhere.

Quoting .Peaches.:

I've never heard of that. I was dismissed at one school due to extenuating circumstances (emergency situation which I couldn't explain at the time to them until I was safe) and enrolled in another one with no problem.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Hmmm IDK then. I'll have to call tomorrow to double check. I thought it followed you

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Quoting .Peaches.:

I've never heard of that. I was dismissed at one school due to extenuating circumstances (emergency situation which I couldn't explain at the time to them until I was safe) and enrolled in another one with no problem.

mz23
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Wow. Idk might as well try. Nothing to lose...
MomRocs1102
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM

life happens and when it does it can mess us up with things such as school.  If you want to continue your education do what you need to do to get back in classes.  Do you thing you need to take a break or are you ready so this time around can be better?  Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN