Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Lurkers/newbies lend me your ears

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM
  • 139 Replies
1 mom liked this
Can you make a welcome post because some of you look suspect when you can't even say hello but post some very controversial topics.

I will start first. I am a wife and a mom to two beautiful girls. I work with teenagers who always hip me to new things and I am twenty six. I love law which is what I have a degree in. I also have indepth knowledge if American funeral customs weird yes but it interest me. I also love jazz and black history.

How about you ?
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM
And if you can't tell I like Shakespeare
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I did not know you had a degree in law. Ummm, as for the in depth knowledge of American Funerals.....Manda......Manda......I don't know what to say about that. 

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I'll be back with my intro........

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I love talking about criminal law. I love constitutional law to and the stories behind them. Which feeds my history interest. On the funeral thing I wanted to be a mortician still do. So I studied customs and stuff like that. Like when people have a first line with their funerals in New Orleans originally that was a musicians only thing but then it got commercialized another thing that feeds into my history thing.

Quoting Bunsmommy:

I did not know you had a degree in law. Ummm, as for the in depth knowledge of American Funerals.....Manda......Manda......I don't know what to say about that. 

KaylaMS89
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Well my name is Kay, I signed up about three or four days ago.. Anywho Im from the bay area, my daughter will be two next month, I am currently pursuing my bachelors in sociology. I honestly love helping people in anyway that I can, and yea.. lol I'm not shy so if you wanna know more just ask away. I think this site, along with the group for African American Mommies is a very positive way for us to connect, relate and help one another out. :-)

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Someone had told me about the NO funerals, for the longest I was strangely interested in how they bury their dead and then I seen footage of a funeral there and I had to know about that. 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

I love talking about criminal law. I love constitutional law to and the stories behind them. Which feeds my history interest. On the funeral thing I wanted to be a mortician still do. So I studied customs and stuff like that. Like when people have a first line with their funerals in New Orleans originally that was a musicians only thing but then it got commercialized another thing that feeds into my history thing.

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM
You are in the right place but I figure its always nice to introduce who you are so that people can get a feel of a person. I don't mind having discussions of substance. Not trying to be mean. I am not a mean person. Btw what have you read. I am starting a book called the unquiet mind

Quoting MercedesMonique:

Ok, I will indulge lol, as I think this was intended for me.  I'm not that new, and I haven't been lurking, just reading a little to get a feel for what type of group this is.  However, I must have gotten my wires crossed as I am not a combative person a did not expect a tete a tete with anyone so soon.  I have a knack for controversial topics as my interests, career, and degrees range from biology to sociology, justice studies, and sociology.  I have a minor in Interpersonal Communications, and am debating pursuing a grad degree in Public Administration.  I love to read, not much for T.V.  I have two beautiful children, a son and a daughter, and a patient husband who normally just smiles and nods through my rants.  I was trying out different groups hoping for a little intellectual stimulation, especially through the discussion of social issues and such.  Someone, anyone, please let me know if I am in the right place, or if I need to look elsewhere! That's about all I have for now...

MercedesMonique
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I gathered that much already, and neither am I! But the more time I spend here, the more I think that most people just want to engage in mundane casual conversation, and there's nothing wrong there, it's just not for me. I like to put what I'm thinking out there and get other peoples' pov on the topic. I've never been much for small talk, so that's prb why you all didn't get the introduction. I will try to do better next time, but for now I will delete the post and keep looking. I don't think this is the right fit for my personality. Happy posting!
Quoting Mommabearbergh:

You are in the right place but I figure its always nice to introduce who you are so that people can get a feel of a person. I don't mind having discussions of substance. Not trying to be mean. I am not a mean person

Quoting MercedesMonique:

Ok, I will indulge lol, as I think this was intended for me.  I'm not that new, and I haven't been lurking, just reading a little to get a feel for what type of group this is.  However, I must have gotten my wires crossed as I am not a combative person a did not expect a tete a tete with anyone so soon.  I have a knack for controversial topics as my interests, career, and degrees range from biology to sociology, justice studies, and sociology.  I have a minor in Interpersonal Communications, and am debating pursuing a grad degree in Public Administration.  I love to read, not much for T.V.  I have two beautiful children, a son and a daughter, and a patient husband who normally just smiles and nods through my rants.  I was trying out different groups hoping for a little intellectual stimulation, especially through the discussion of social issues and such.  Someone, anyone, please let me know if I am in the right place, or if I need to look elsewhere! That's about all I have for now...

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Try current and hot topics. We talk about the things your not supposed religion and politics :) and other stuff. Right the hot topic is the govt shut down.

Quoting MercedesMonique:

I gathered that much already, and neither am I! But the more time I spend here, the more I think that most people just want to engage in mundane casual conversation, and there's nothing wrong there, it's just not for me. I like to put what I'm thinking out there and get other peoples' pov on the topic. I've never been much for small talk, so that's prb why you all didn't get the introduction. I will try to do better next time, but for now I will delete the post and keep looking. I don't think this is the right fit for my personality. Happy posting!

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

You are in the right place but I figure its always nice to introduce who you are so that people can get a feel of a person. I don't mind having discussions of substance. Not trying to be mean. I am not a mean person

Quoting MercedesMonique:

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM
What are your hobbies
What was the last book to read
What made you want to study sociology

Quoting KaylaMS89:

Well my name is Kay, I signed up about three or four days ago.. Anywho Im from the bay area, my daughter will be two next month, I am currently pursuing my bachelors in sociology. I honestly love helping people in anyway that I can, and yea.. lol I'm not shy so if you wanna know more just ask away. I think this site, along with the group for African American Mommies is a very positive way for us to connect, relate and help one another out. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)