Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Offensive??

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 20 Replies

SMHRM

Halloween Display With “Black-Faced” Man Hanging From Noose Causes Outrage

A long-running Halloween tradition in Tennessee is drawing national attention after an Instagram used shared a photo from the event showing a display with a man in black-face hanging from a noose.

via WMCTV

A photo, posted on Instagram late Friday night, is causing a stir on social media.

The Mid-South Maze has been in the Memphis area for 13 years, but a photo taken at the maze is causing many residents to speak out. They are classifying the image as offensive and controversial.

“The issue is you have a Caucasian man with a young boy, not even an African American boy, but a young boy with black face. [It's] almost like minstrel times just hanging from a noose. It’s something that shouldn’t be tolerated,” stated concerned visitor Timothy Moore.

Mid-South Maze owner, Chris Taylor, said this is the first he has ever heard of the possible controversy.

“It’s a medieval scene out in a corn maze. There’s a little bit of black makeup on his face. He sometimes wears a mask, but it’s more camouflage,” said Taylor.

Taylor continued to explain how the young man at the noose has been working at the maze for over eight years. He said the image was never intended to offend, it was only supposed to be for fun.

- See more at: http://bossip.com/846938/racist-or-nah-halloween-event-display-with-man-in-blackface-hanging-from-noose-causes-outrage-in-tennessee/#sthash.NowSx5fC.dpuf

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cali_gurl
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

In bad taste all around. Plus just weird. Not "fun".

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
3 moms liked this
*SMH*
But "Talking about racism" causes racism!
I wish people will accept that there are some races mofo's!
leaniece
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM
4 moms liked this
Medieval times-- they wore camouflage make up to look like black face while being hung????? I sure missed that day in school lol. This is down right creepy.... And with this taking place in Tennessee... I'm not THAT surprised. Wow, these hicks want to go back to the "good ol' days" SOOOO bad, don't they?
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Not cool..

SiriSilasMom
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Yup, makes absolutely no sense. 

Quoting leaniece:

Medieval times-- they wore camouflage make up to look like black face while being hung????? I sure missed that day in school lol. This is down right creepy.... And with this taking place in Tennessee... I'm not THAT surprised. Wow, these hicks want to go back to the "good ol' days" SOOOO bad, don't they?

smiley83
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM
That's not funny in the least bit to me.
PurplWildFlower
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Beyond offensive, fucking disgusting is what it is....

I'm glad that I don't have the complexion for the protection - rs

nikabear
by Mrs.Bellamy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Some real bull!!!! They couldn't put a scream mask or a Michael Myers mask on him??? It just had to be black face, right???? Smdh! And they claim it's not racist.......
MomRocs1102
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I hate when people do things that are clearly ignorant, and offensive then they speak and all say the same thing "It was never intended to be offensive".  You would have to be 100%stupid, to not know this would offend people.

kellysp6637
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

This is disturbing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)