Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Potty Training Advice Wanted

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hey everybody! My name is Kay and I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who has hit this stage with their child.. My daughter will be two next month and I am working with her as far as potty training. She is currently in Pull-Ups and she uses the bathroom when I take her but she doesn't always tell me when she needs to go. I was wondering how other mothers encouraged their child to tell them when they needed to go to the bathroom/"potty". Also, how did you go about the transition from Diapers/Pull-Ups to training pants/panties??? 

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
anaijasmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Pull ups are like diapers. I went from diapers to training underwear. I'm home all day so my son walked around bare he would tell me when he had to go. We started on the potty then the toilet. Good luck!
SonShine11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM
. My daughter like yours will be 2 soon and only goes when I put her on the potty but she uses it more often... I put her on when she wakes and after meals and before bed... Other than that I'm waiting on her because i don't want to rush her
KaylaMS89
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM

when you say trainning pants you mean the little cotton undies you can buy in wal-mart and target right.. or am i thinking of just regular underwear? and thank you so much for your help

SWEET737
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Hey Kayla, I went from diapers to training under wears with the plastic that goes over them.They did not like the feel of the wetness on their skin vs the pull ups soaks up the wetness.  I also bought a potty training book for me to read to them and for them to look at the pictures and I even bought a potty training VHS tapes from Babies R Us. They sat on the potty while watching the tape. It kept them interested( and sitting on the potty} because of the music in the back ground. I have three kids 19, 13, and 7 but I potty trained fourteen  21/2 year old all by myself when I worked at a 24 hour day care center. I made up a potty song for them and I sung it to them when ever they used the potty. So they were happy to tell me they had to use the potty because they loved to hear me sing their big girl/boy potty song. Also, when I potty trained my seven year old, her potty seat made music when she used the potty so that also motivated her to want to ask for the potty. Good luck

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Gosh its been so long.
Just constantly keep asking if she has to go! Be consistent.
anaijasmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Yes they are thicker than regular underwear.

Quoting KaylaMS89:

when you say trainning pants you mean the little cotton undies you can buy in wal-mart and target right.. or am i thinking of just regular underwear? and thank you so much for your help

SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Taking notes. I hear boys are different from girls. With my son He wore pull-ups for a few months I can't say I did anything special besides constantly asking if he had to go.  

CoolRelax
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I don't know, my girls are almost 3 and, although they pee in the potty consistently both of them refuse to poop in the potty.  I'm at a loss myself. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN