Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Sounding Black

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 34 Replies
2 moms liked this

One thing I really hate is when people say things like, "She sounds black/white." 

I got a call from a newspaper survay they asked me questions about Obama, Health care, that sort of thing. At the end she asked me what my race was she read off the choices and I said, "Black." This woman says to me,  "Oh you sound white." 

I  asked "What does white sound like?"

her response made me want to pull my hair out and bang my head against the table.

"Well, you know... proper English."

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoolRelax
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I really hate tha shit.  

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too. I love the Simpsons by the way👍👍
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have called her  a dumba$$ over the phone and hung up.

AlliviasMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM
I get it all the the time.
mrsary
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I can tell race and nationalities by listening most of the time. Not sure if I would tell a stranger that though.
thedoctordonna
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that's pretty presumptuous. I was born in Chicago raised in England, moved to Las Vegas when I was 19, got married and lived in Hawaii for 10 years, got divorced and moved back to Las Vegas now I'm living in San Francisco, how can anyone tell me what my race is when I've been around so many difference accents and ultimately absorbed some of them. 

People speak by influence and you never know what that influence might be so saying you can tell what race someone is just by a voice is one of the most bigoted things I've ever heard! 

Quoting mrsary:

I can tell race and nationalities by listening most of the time. Not sure if I would tell a stranger that though.

CreativeJustice
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM
4 moms liked this

I stopped giving my race out. THEY DON'T need to know that. Frankly my race is American. 

mrsary
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Lol. I write American on everything too!

Quoting CreativeJustice:

I stopped giving my race out. THEY DON'T need to know that. Frankly my race is American. 

CreativeJustice
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Right! lol its pisses everyone off and then they ask if I consider myself Hispanic....like wtf...bish I said AMERICAN...some places make you answer. I am going to starting questioning. well what is white? I am not a Confederate....nor English nor germane... if you want to know my skin color, pick a shade scale(still point but thats really what they want to know). They need to get their shit together for real.

Quoting mrsary:

Lol. I write American on everything too!

Quoting CreativeJustice:

0Kit0
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too. It's strange. I think it might be inflection in the voice.

I hate it too. I got teased as a kid because nobody thought I was blaxk rhen when they called it was constantly "your mom sounds white".

Quoting mrsary:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN