Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

One thing I really hate is when people say things like, "She sounds black/white." 

I got a call from a newspaper survay they asked me questions about Obama, Health care, that sort of thing. At the end she asked me what my race was she read off the choices and I said, "Black." This woman says to me,  "Oh you sound white." 

I  asked "What does white sound like?"

her response made me want to pull my hair out and bang my head against the table.

"Well, you know... proper English."

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Replies (21-30):
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM
I would annoy the hell out if you. I go from sounding like I still belong in Boston, to sounding like Whitley Gilbert!

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting 0Kit0:

Me too. It's strange. I think it might be inflection in the voice.

I hate it too. I got teased as a kid because nobody thought I was blaxk rhen when they called it was constantly "your mom sounds white".

Quoting mrsary:

I can tell race and nationalities by listening most of the time. Not sure if I would tell a stranger that though.

I'm better at telling what part of the country someone is from- I'm good at accents.

mrzsimmons322
by Crystal on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Ugh that shit is annoying!
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bunsmommy:

I would annoy the hell out if you. I go from sounding like I still belong in Boston, to sounding like Whitley Gilbert!

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting 0Kit0:

I hate it too. I got teased as a kid because nobody thought I was blaxk rhen when they called it was constantly "your mom sounds white".

Quoting mrsary:

I can tell race and nationalities by listening most of the time. Not sure if I would tell a stranger that though.

I'm better at telling what part of the country someone is from- I'm good at accents.

I'm orginally from Connecticut and most of my extended family still lives there, so I do the same thing. Whenever I come back home, everyone's like "What's up with accent though?" lol

SonShine11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM
This is exactly what I believe someone would mean. Not that you speak proper...

Quoting Bunsmommy:

And sometimes that's what people are referring to; not necessarily the fact that you're able to properly conjugate your verbs but the inflection in the tone of your voice.

Truth be told once someone called asking me to partake in a survey (seriously, we're ignoring that? I just need to know) about the "Obama health care act" I'm ending things before we can even get to you feeling as if you're going to bash my race. You don't have enough sense to refer to it by it's proper name I don't have time to talk too you!

Quoting 0Kit0:

Quoting mrsary:

SheciaBaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM
No I live in the south. Those fools mean I speak proper.. Aka I talk white as they say. They aren't smart enough to know what inflection is ... Lmao

Quoting SonShine11:

This is exactly what I believe someone would mean. Not that you speak proper...

Quoting Bunsmommy:

And sometimes that's what people are referring to; not necessarily the fact that you're able to properly conjugate your verbs but the inflection in the tone of your voice.

Truth be told once someone called asking me to partake in a survey (seriously, we're ignoring that? I just need to know) about the "Obama health care act" I'm ending things before we can even get to you feeling as if you're going to bash my race. You don't have enough sense to refer to it by it's proper name I don't have time to talk too you!

Quoting 0Kit0:

Quoting mrsary:

SheciaBaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Weird off subject question... How's Connecticut? I've always thought it'd b nice to live there

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting 0Kit0:

Quoting mrsary:

I'm orginally from Connecticut and most of my extended family still lives there, so I do the same thing. Whenever I come back home, everyone's like "What's up with accent though?" lol

STVUstudent
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL... me too!  Anything to get out of Virginia...

Quoting SheciaBaby:

Weird off subject question... How's Connecticut? I've always thought it'd b nice to live there

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting 0Kit0:

Quoting mrsary:

Babujai
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Those are the little ingrained tidbits of racism that post-racial dreamers don't recognize.  The implications of the statement are pervasive and affect every aspect of life from individual interactions to government policy.

mom1T2Ldh
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

and they wonder why

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Luvthagirl needs love too:)

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Stop trying to make me fall in love with you!

Way to many of us see that as a prize; like all white people know how to speak well. Might be telling your black ass that you speak the way Uncle Sy speaks and all you hear is "you talk white" now you're eating it up!

I speak as if I have a grasp of the language and that ability is given to us all!

Quoting luvthagirl:

What's even worst is when black folk take it as a compliments
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN