Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Missing autistic boy Avonte Oquendo

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM
  • 24 Replies
I can't believe they haven't found him yet. The whole situation is fishy to me. Why did he run out of school? Why did it take the school 1 hr to call the police?

Are there any other things about the case that doesn't seem right to you?I think he is underground, living in a subway station with a group of homeless people that know nothing of the news reports; just thinking that they are taking in another lost soul into their group.

#1) NYC is densely populated, so no one saw him in the streets a little after he ran out of the building? Children walk the streets by themselves all the time in NYC without harm, so what is the coincidence that a kidnapper just so happens to be there to take him after he randomly left school? If he was kidnapped, the person who did it knew Avonte and Avonte knew him. I think he probably saw someone he knew outside through the window, ran to them and that person took him. If he's alive, which I pray that he is, I don't think he's in NYC anymore. His disappearance wasn't random, it was planned.

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

It's sad...I too was wondering how he was even able to leave the school. I was under the assumption that special needs children always had aides chaperoning them as well as in the classroom.  Sadly my husband said the fact that he's been missing so long is not a good sign.  

alisheamonet33
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

ive posted his pic on instagram  but the fact that he vanished out of sight in ny didnt sit well with me all! in going to read up on the story now

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Just sad:(
Nisha929
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Its really sad and I hope like hell that he's alive and well. You might be right about someone he knew taking him.

hismommy2010
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM

When I saw the news, and it shows him running out - my first thought was 'what or who is he running from'?

My feelings are that he was being miss-treated, or abused in someway by someone inside the school. He took off running, that person or person(s) then exited the building from a different area, and caught up with him....

Mommy2Boys0900
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM
This is really sad. I pass the posters daily on my way to work and I keep praying for him to be found safe and soon.
leaniece
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

OMG. I heard about this and they STILL havent found him??? we live in the age of technology and with cameras EVERY WHERE, how can they not AT LEAST find out the last place a surveillance camera may have caught him- a school surveillance showing him what direction he went. Im just shocked that this day in age, people still vanish without a trace! Something just doesnt add up with this story.

AlliviasMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM
I think he was abused at the school, then ran off. An administrator brought him back and possibly killed him accidently with one of their "restraint" methods they use with autistic students.

Quoting leaniece:

OMG. I heard about this and they STILL havent found him??? we live in the age of technology and with cameras EVERY WHERE, how can they not AT LEAST find out the last place a surveillance camera may have caught him- a school surveillance showing him what direction he went. Im just shocked that this day in age, people still vanish without a trace! Something just doesnt add up with this story.

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I know the parents may not have proof that they possibly killed their son, but can they sue the school for negligence, at least?? I feel so bad for this family. I have an autistic brother- so this hits home for me.

Quoting AlliviasMommy:

I think he was abused at the school, then ran off. An administrator brought him back and possibly killed him accidently with one of their "restraint" methods they use with autistic students.

Quoting leaniece:

nikabear
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I have been following this story since it happened and I am heartbroken. I just don't understand what and how this happened. And today they announced that they are scaling back on their search efforts. I wonder does he know to stay away from water and other hazards????
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)