Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Would you do it?

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 63 Replies
1 mom liked this

If one of your kids was acting out on a regular basis and you've done everything within your power to fix the situation but nothing seems to be working...would you pack your kid up and drop him/her off on the absentee father's doorstep? Why or why not?

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I sure would

SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM
3 moms liked this

Wait, absentee father..maybe not. But if the father was active in his life I sure would drop him off. He's obviously missing something that I can't provide so trying this approach won't hurt. Reminds me of Boys in the hood. LOL

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Dad was absent for a reason so no. I would discuss his behaviour with his teachers, school counselor, and probably his pediatrician

Nisha929
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't do it. If the father doesn't care enough to be there in the first place, dropping the kid off to him isn't going to change that.

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I had this problem and I scared the hell out of my son and he is the best now...I took him to the children's detention center and have the man in charge scare the shyt out of him....He told my son he was going to stay for 90 day (the normal time is 30 days) without any contact with me at all...

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

As for the father thing...his father is weak and he let my son do anything he wants.... So he would never be an option. And if he was an absent father hell no!!!!!

Nisha929
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Right! This is a real situation that a friend of mine is dealing with and she's mentioned doing that a few times. I don't think it's a wise choice (I told her that) but in the end it's her decision. I just don't wanna see her kid hurt more if she decides to go through with it and this trick to make the father care doesn't work.  

Quoting SiriSilasMom:

Wait, absentee father..maybe not. But if the father was active in his life I sure would drop him off. He's obviously missing something that I can't provide so trying this approach won't hurt. Reminds me of Boys in the hood. LOL

mom2kortni
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Not with an absentee father, I wouldn't.
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Nope. I don't think it's helpful to drop them off with someone who doesn't know them. It can actually make the situation worse..the absentee parent may not know what to do and resort of violence to correct the behavior.

I would do something like a boot camp before the absentee parent.

Nisha929
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I swear I wanna do something like that to my daughter. Instead I just pray for the day she turns 18 so I can give her the boot...lol.   

Quoting Stacey1081975:

I had this problem and I scared the hell out of my son and he is the best now...I took him to the children's detention center and have the man in charge scare the shyt out of him....He told my son he was going to stay for 90 day (the normal time is 30 days) without any contact with me at all...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)