Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Sarah Bartman - Do you know who she is? If not, you need to learn the plight of our sister!

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sisters, google Sarah Bartman and read her story.  Just a hint, she is the original big booty video vixen!  Let me know what you think and how it has related to the plight of the black woman and the way we think of ourselves physically, emotionally and sexually - - past and present.  This will be a very interesting conversation.

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
big.city.mama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I read her book years ago in high school it was so sad she was displayed in a cage like an animal in Europe for years. She was poked and laughed at just disgusting it was so sad
mrsary
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
That is crazy! Never heard of her til now.
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Never heard of her. Going to google now.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

So I just went to Wikipedia and they have her listed as Sarah Baartman. Her story is sad. It's messed up how they treated her like a circus freak just because she had a big butt and an enlongated labia.

kamaira
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

they called her a freak show because of how far her booty stuck out. Her experiences were horrid they made her out to be some circus side show type. Tbh I still feel as though our bodies are still exploited not to the degree of Ms. Sarah Bartman but in the way that its some what of a cutural norm for our woman to put it on display as the best they have to offer. For example majority of our single women aren't in their college libraries trying to make an intellectual connection but let college night come around they all got dressed in ways that movements will expose thier cracks just to get attention. To me past and present its  almost no different than the use of the n word it started off as a way for them degrade us and now all of a sudden its cool to be used to degrade ourselves.

kamaira
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

oh wow I never read anything about her labia

Quoting SexyDiva19:

So I just went to Wikipedia and they have her listed as Sarah Baartman. Her story is sad. It's messed up how they treated her like a circus freak just because she had a big butt and an enlongated labia.

LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

SonShine11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Yes. I have already been educated about here.
nikabear
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Yes I know about her......
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM
I know about her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN