Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Childless women just don't know

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM
  • 13 Replies
3 moms liked this
My associates and I are very pro-family employers. I'm tired of hearing from childless women in and outside work that the "world does not revolve around children."

Today I overheard one of my hygienists speaking on the phone in the break room today while I was getting ready to leave. She then began to vent to one of our other hygienists. She must've forgotten about the fact that I have ears...And I received quite an earful. She was going on and on with something along the lines of:

"I'm sick of everyone in the office with children getting special treatment, with being able to leave early while we have to stay to cover them. (So and so) has to get the kid from daycare/the sitter, OR the kid has to go to the doctor, OR some other child-related reason. OR the kid is sick so mommy or daddy has to stay home with him. Yet those who either CAN'T or DON'T have children don't get to leave early or miss work. I woke up late...... But that isn't as good a reason as her kid waking up late for school or having the damn sniffles, and MY doctor's appointment takes second place to (X's kid's) school field trip as a reason to take time off. I get written up if I'm late because I have to get my car, but [so and so] can stroll in late if they play the Baby Card... no prob. What the (explicit)?!"

She complained about my associate closing the office Tues. because of the school weather closing. In return, her losing a days worth of pay. Wahhh.

1) My staff with kids, (a good majority), called me AHEAD of time and told me about the Tuesday closing, which I was aware of, and were unable to come in. Fine. Several patients also cancelled their appointments.

While having children may come with many "perks and rewards" it also comes with a TON of responsibilities that you DONT get to clock out from. If there are any of you out there without children, keep that in mind the next time you see a co-worker leave for what may seem like afternoon of "freedom", it is really the beginning of a night of tears, the ER, school suspensions, and cleaning up the vomit of a sick child, etc. Tending to a sick child is NOT a vacation.

What do you think? Do working women with children get "special treatment?" If so, is it justified?
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomRocs1102
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree, but i also feels some parents do use their children as a excuse to get off early, or not come to work at all.  Im a parent and i have had to leave work for my kid, and my boss flipped.  I like that you don't punish staff for being parents and having the mind set my kids come first, its just that some do take advantage, and other staff can feel like its just another excuse.  She was venting.

michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM
I admit, when I was younger and didn't have children I would bitch about the same things as your employees. Oh how much I've grown lol
proudmomof2653
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:22 PM

first of all, kids come first before men,jobs and everthing and everybody ok now after saying that, I think that women with kids have to be exceptional when it comes to jobs because kids are always getting into situation where they need their mothers to help them. I think it is absolutely justified when it comes to leaving work early so people without kids do not have that same empathy and will never have it because thay do not feel as if working mothers should get the same treatment as them  without their amployers thinking about the fact that they have a family to take care of outside of the job.

SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:31 PM
5 moms liked this

I have 2 children, and I agree with the bitching non child having hygenist. People not just women do get special treatment when it comes to children.  Them losing pay because schools are closed isn't fair. Why should she lose out on money because someone's child, that they chose to have couldn't go to school?

ginene
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:33 PM
I had a childless boss who called out because her dog was sick but couldn't be considerate with moms with kids until I went to her boss and we had a meeting about it. Then she finally loosened up but tell her your dog died and she understood.

She just didn't like kids. She tied her tubes at 30 because she never wanted to get pregnant and would've done it earlier if they let her.
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this
UGHHHHHHHH!!!!!! When Bun was a wee bun I was a director for a child care center and my boss was not only childless but despite having an educational background I don't think she cared for children. She could never understand that for those of us with small children they were our FIRST AND PRIMARY concern. Bun got real sick one day, fever high all lethargic, wasn't communicating my baby was suffering. We were scheduled to do our pre-k orientation....I don't know what to tell you all but I will not be here! The nurse on the CHOA hotline said bring him in, my ass left Atlanta speeding to elgelston by Emory; show you how fast I peeled out I left Joseph E. Lowery Blvd and got to Emory in about 20 in afternoon rush hour! She was upset ranting and raving about "you need to be here, you have to do this!" O_o! I gladly took that write up.
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM

When I was working people with children got treated differently/expected different treatment. Our biggest issue -sometimes our shift would be slow and the team could be cut..Workers with children expected to be cut first since they had kids...The general thought was workers w/o children had no reason to want to leave early.. 

ginene
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:10 PM
I agree. I have told off plenty of bosses in the past and kept my job. It's not only about kids but what about people parents being sick, spouses with illnesses, or the employee getting sick. Bosses need to have a work/life balance in place and know that being flexible keeps employees happy which leads to a low turn around rate. That's usually the trend on the top 100 careers. During my interviews I tell people I have 4 kids and need flexibility and if they don't have it, I'm not the candidate for the position.

Most love my honesty and hire me. Right now my boss is the best ever and she doesn't have kids but she believes family is first and if you do your work, she has no problem with you. She said she hired me from that statement because she knew I was an honest person.

Quoting Bunsmommy: UGHHHHHHHH!!!!!! When Bun was a wee bun I was a director for a child care center and my boss was not only childless but despite having an educational background I don't think she cared for children. She could never understand that for those of us with small children they were our FIRST AND PRIMARY concern. Bun got real sick one day, fever high all lethargic, wasn't communicating my baby was suffering. We were scheduled to do our pre-k orientation....I don't know what to tell you all but I will not be here! The nurse on the CHOA hotline said bring him in, my ass left Atlanta speeding to elgelston by Emory; show you how fast I peeled out I left Joseph E. Lowery Blvd and got to Emory in about 20 in afternoon rush hour! She was upset ranting and raving about "you need to be here, you have to do this!" O_o! I gladly took that write up.
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM
3 moms liked this

I think the dental hygienist has a good point and it probably happens a lot more in your office than you notice is happening.  Put yourself in her shoes.  It has never happened at any of the places where I've worked but it does happen.  Sometimes it can't be helped (sick child) and sometimes there are women who play the mom card and take advantage.  Kids or not, if the company I worked for shut down because half or majority of the staff decided to stay home with their kids due to bad weather.  Then I had better be getting paid for that day as I have bills to pay.  I make all my doctors and dentists appointments after work hours if possible, or first thing in the morning and I stay late and work through my breaks to make up for that lost time.  Having kids doesn't mean leaving work early and taking tons of days off to attend every field trip (with the exception if the child is sick).  If that is the type of work life a mother wants, then she should consider being a SAHM until her kids are teenagers. 

JiggasMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM
I understand what the lady bitching for, a lot of people do play the mommy role and always cutting out on work. I NEVER call out or leave work UNLESS its a 100% EMERGENCY! But as a mother I also understand where you are coming from. I had a boss who had a young daughter and when she was sick she'll leave the store with no problem. Well one day my daughter had a allergic reaction because she was sharing food with the little girl next to her and got mad when I had to leave. That was an 100% EMERGENCY my daughter is HIGHLY allergic to strawberries. She needed me there and her dad could've went to the hospital with her instead of me. WE BOTH WENT! Her husband could've stayed with her daughter when she was sick and she could've stayed at the store!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN