Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Warning !!!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

Cell phone users warned against answering calls from unknown out of state numbers

NEW ORLEANS -- If you get a missed call from a number you don't recognize, you should think twice before calling the number back.

That's because of something going around called the "one-ring scam."

The scams usually come from outside the United States and have the area codes of 268, 809, 876, 284 and 473.

The Better Business Bureau recommends that you ignore incoming or missed calls from out-of-state numbers that you don't recognize and carefully check cell phone bills.

Or if you want to call the number back, search the number online first.

Better Business Bureau warns of 'one ring' phone scam from Caribbean Islands

Calls cost $20 up front, $9 for each additional minute

PITTSBURGH —While most Pittsburghers probably wouldn’t mind a trip to the Caribbean to avoid the cold winter months, most of them probably weren’t expecting phone calls from the islands that the Better Business Bureau warns are part of a "one ring" scam

"They're using autodialers to call thousands and thousands of our cellphones. And they let it ring once, and then when the consumers goes to look to see who called, some that may be pretty curious may call that number back and automatically you’re going to be charged an additional $30 on your phone bill,” said the BBB’s Warren King.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM
3 moms liked this
I've NEVER called back numbers I don't know. And if you don't leave a message it's not important enough for me to figure who's calling and why they're calling.
mom2kortni
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM
I never call them back, but lately I've been getting calls from Antigua so I knew something was going on.
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I've heard about that but that has been happening for years.  It started with land lines, now cell phones.  I have voice mail and caller ID.  So if someone calls and can't be bothered to leave a message, whether I know the number or not, I don't call back.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Yup, I just heard about that on the news. But it wouldn't affect me anyways- if I don't know the number, I don't pick up and I don't call back either.

MrsMommy123
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:07 AM
I've gotten these calls for years but it was always a small number. I've gotten one of the new ones yesterday with the 268 area code. I figured there was a way scammers could get money if I answered so I never answer an unknown call.
navybeauty88
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Quoting moosesmom: I've NEVER called back numbers I don't know. And if you don't leave a message it's not important enough for me to figure who's calling and why they're calling.
mamalynnsmith
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:52 AM

I dont answer numbers i dont know, but good luck charging my phone it is prepaid tracfone.

jinxmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:20 AM
thanks for sharing but I don't answer numbers I don't know.
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM
I've gotten text from strange numbers
diaperstodating
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM
This exactly:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Yup, I just heard about that on the news. But it wouldn't affect me anyways- if I don't know the number, I don't pick up and I don't call back either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)