Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African- American women on reality TV.

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM
  • 15 Replies
Do you feel reality TV makes us look bad? Or do you think all races are evenly represented in looking bad?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KikiKia
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this

This

Quoting moni1908: Do you feel reality TV makes us look bad? Or do you think all races are evenly represented in looking bad?

moni1908
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Got it. I know someone on one of the housewives shows and know that its scripted to meet...but what happens when you get there is another thing.
AlliviasMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Other races look bad also, but get a pass.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Bump

I don't watch reality tv.

Mia1983
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM
6 moms liked this
I think all races look bad on reality TV.

However, there's not a lot of us BW in mainstream entertainment. With other races of women, there are plenty of more positive, balanced depictions of them to counteract the negative depictions. Also, I believe we are more likely to be stereotyped as a result of these images. Honey Boo Boo's redneck mom is not going to be used as the picture of white womanhood. But when black women get on TV with "ratchetness", I think it gives people an excuse to confirm what they already want to believe about us.
big.city.mama
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM
10 moms liked this
You have housewives, mob wives, jersey shore kids redneck moonshiners and more I think reality shows show AMERICAN PEOPLE in a bad light
MomRocs1102
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM
3 moms liked this

No, I feel like they make themselves look bad, but their are those who look at tv and assume we are all that way.  The other reality shows don't make other races look any better in my opinion.  Real world bed hoping drunks, all the housewives are completely ridiculous. 

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:46 PM

All races look bad on reality tv.  The person just makes themself look bad, not their race.  Just look at any housewives of , the ones with the all white mommas.  Then take a look at The Bachelor.

Iconoclast
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree with this! The producers of the show have all the control. But screaming that they bring the drama and make us look bad is like a prostitute claiming the johns make her look bad (or like a prostitute). There's a bit of truth in it but you still had a hand in it.
One of the reasons it looks worse for blacks in reality tv is because we are viewed as a collective by others and by our own. Other races don't accept that.

Quoting AlliviasMommy: Other races look bad also, but get a pass.
OHIOmommy330
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:10 AM

I think women that do these shows make themselves look bad, by making the choice to do the show. You can't blame reality tv for making us or any other race look bad, we can only blame ourselves. If more women had more self respect and said no to all the fake drama and lies those shows are made of, they would have no choice but to stop making the show.

It's a personal choice and greed that makes us get on these shows and act the way they do. Just my opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)