Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'Secrets' you know b/c of your occupation

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  • 67 Replies
-To start, some doctors in general judge how well they treat you based on what kind of insurance you have.

- A lot of patients are worried that dental X-rays can cause cancer, but if you're outside for an hour, you're exposed to more radiation than you'd get from a full set of dental X-ray! What I personally worry about is that if I don't take an X-ray, I might miss something serious....

- Teeth get whiter when they dry out. Some dentists promise that their office procedures will make your teeth four shades whiter....But if you leave your mouth open for an hour, you could easily be two shades whiter just from dehydration. LOL

- Most insurance companies pay for two cleanings a year-one every six months. If you're not having any major oral issues and your dentist schedules a cleaning every 3 months, give her/him the side-eye...you're getting scammed

-Deep cleanings can also be a scam

- The dental hygienist might be filling your cavities or even doing the root canal. A small number of dentists let hygienists, ASSISTANTS, and other staff members perform some treatments...Not okay! :(

Dh says: 1)If you constantly get past due bills threatening to take you to collections, but continue to gets calls from the office, pay them no mind. They're too cheap to actually hire a collection agency. Just get on a payment plan to shut them up!!

2) Also, he would randomly type in peoples names that he knows to see if they had an account and what their money was looking like. Dh and alums work around the Atl metro area. They'd type in a celeb's name to see if they had an account at the bank (he says a lot of our "Housewives" ladies aren't ballin like you think they are!)
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlliviasMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM
*Dh also says 90% of the world's currency has drug residue on it!
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for sharing.
I don't know any secrets, I work at a middle school.
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My last job was payroll and some HR duties for a restaurant management company. I learned that many restaurants will hire illegal immigrants with false ss numbers. The fraud I came across was very disturbing. The managers and owners were aware of this too and they continued to employ these people!
JaysMommy_32
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
A lot of the secrets you shared I'm not at all surprised by... Especially the drug residue on the money and doctors determining how to treat you based on your insurance.

Anywho I'm a preschool teacher... No real juice there to share
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm some kids on the autism spectrum are just spoiled brats.
(Don't personalize this comment. I'm not talking about your child.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM
When you say teeth dry out, do you mean the body is dehydrated so that creates the whiter appearance?
AlliviasMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
No, the enamel surface

Quoting moosesmom: When you say teeth dry out, do you mean the body is dehydrated so that creates the whiter appearance?
jenmomx3
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM
6 moms liked this

1.  Comforters and blankets are not washed everyday or changed with every stay.   The sheets, towels and pillowcases are, but the comforter and blankets are recycled....wouldn't lay on them if I were you.

2.  Hampton Inn has a 100% guarantee policy.  If you are not happy for ANY reason, they are required to refund 100% of your stay.  If they offer you anything less, ask about the 100% policy and ask for a manager.   I had to refund a stay because the customer thought her grapes were too squishy....seriously.....

3.  Hotels offer cheaper rates the later you book your room.  The price for a room at 11am may be vastly different from the price of a room at 10pm depending on how busy the night is.

There are more, but thats all  I can think of for right now.

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM

I don't have any on the job secrets.  I work for a health care benefits company that provides affordable extended health care benefits to companies and individuals. 

Quoting AlliviasMommy: -To start, some doctors in general judge how well they treat you based on what kind of insurance you have.

- A lot of patients are worried that dental X-rays can cause cancer, but if you're outside for an hour, you're exposed to more radiation than you'd get from a full set of dental X-ray! What I personally worry about is that if I don't take an X-ray, I might miss something serious....

- Teeth get whiter when they dry out. Some dentists promise that their office procedures will make your teeth four shades whiter....But if you leave your mouth open for an hour, you could easily be two shades whiter just from dehydration. LOL

I'm not surprised.  The bleaching ingredients that whiten teeth over time with use tend to dry your teeth out, which makes them whiter.

- Most insurance companies pay for two cleanings a year-one every six months. If you're not having any major oral issues and your dentist schedules a cleaning every 3 months, give her/him the side-eye...you're getting scammed

-Deep cleanings can also be a scam

- The dental hygienist might be filling your cavities or even doing the root canal. A small number of dentists let hygienists, ASSISTANTS, and other staff members perform some treatments...Not okay! :(

That is illegal here.  At least in my province it is.  Hygienists can do the mixture for the fillings, even do molds for braces and crowns.  Only the dentist can do the drilling and filling in of the cavities, and administer the injection for the freezing.

Dh says: 1)If you constantly get past due bills threatening to take you to collections, but continue to gets calls from the office, pay them no mind. They're too cheap to actually hire a collection agency. Just get on a payment plan to shut them up!!

2) Also, he would randomly type in peoples names that he knows to see if they had an account and what their money was looking like. Dh and alums work around the Atl metro area. They'd type in a celeb's name to see if they had an account at the bank (he says a lot of our "Housewives" ladies aren't ballin like you think they are!)

mlomax07
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this

merchants should not ask for id when processing a credit card transaction

merchants should not be charging "processing fees" for using a Visa or Master Card

merchants cannot have a minimum or maximum amount to purchase using your Visa or Master Card

mlomax07@yahoo.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)