Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Not that I can do anything about it but still WWYD??

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM
  • 31 Replies

So I've been working for almost a week now (even though it feels longer lol) Anyways, I'm in the infant/toddler room. Due to 3 kids leaving last week we now have 2 babies (twins who are 3 mths) and then 4 1 year olds.

One of the children is a little black girl. She seems to be developmentally delayed as she doesn't speak/babble and has a complicated home situation. Never knew her bio mother and her father's mother raises her. The aunt is trying to adopt her but Idk the whole story behind that. Anyways, the grandmother drops the little girl off at 10 or 11 every morning and the little girl cries for about 2 hours straight! I mean the slobbering, crying until you throw up type of crying and the only way to console her is to pick her up and carry her around the room.

I was told not to do this though because  there are 6 kids and 2 workers and so I was told I couldn't cater to her like that. When she comes in it's usually snack time and she doesn't eat. She just sits there and cries and cries. She usually just cries herself to sleep for nap time.

The crying doesn't bother me per se but it's like if I was the director I would speak to the gma about bringing her so late and they said that they have spoke to her about it and she changes for a while but then it's right back to the lateness.

WWYD in this situation?? I know I can't do anything about it but it's disruptive and disrespectful to the kids and us to have to deal with her crying every single day. The other kids can't sleep and she wakes the babies up because she just cries and cries.  She has been coming to the center for months and yet has still not gotten used to getting dropped off.

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I would quit
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:08 PM

lmao No I don't need/want to quit especially with my bills lol but thanks for the suggestion :)

Quoting luvthagirl: I would quit

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I would ask what has been done to stop her from crying and has there been trauma of abandonment
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Well the director, me and another teacher were talking about her today and they said the little girl doesn't know her real mother and Idk the whole situation with the father but the father's sister is trying to adopt the little girl but my co worker says it may be just too much for the family.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: I would ask what has been done to stop her from crying and has there been trauma of abandonment

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:16 PM
How does she not know her mom. Is she in prison

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Well the director, me and another teacher were talking about her today and they said the little girl doesn't know her real mother and Idk the whole situation with the father but the father's sister is trying to adopt the little girl but my co worker says it may be just too much for the family.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: I would ask what has been done to stop her from crying and has there been trauma of abandonment

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Idk. No one at the center has ever seen or talked to the mother. I think the little girl may be a drug baby (I can't think of another way to say that but like her mother may have taken drugs or something) The little girl is raised by the grandmother and she has to drive 30 minutes from our town to her daughter's house to get the little girl then bring her back to our town. Idk why the daughter doesn't put her in a daycare near her but since she is adopting her maybe she will soon.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: How does she not know her mom. Is she in prison
Quoting SexyDiva19:

SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM

I would say over time she will adjust and the crying will stop. How long has she been attending? That breaks my heart though, I don't like to hear a baby cry especially for an extended period of time. I think you should be able to console her, she's still a baby really. They need that. 

inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:48 AM

How long has she been coming to the daycare. So kids require more adjustment time than others. I think you should be able to console her for a minute, try to redirect her. But, I think the catering to just her takes time away from the other kids and staff.

MomRocs1102
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM

disrespectful how?  shes a baby, sometimes it takes a while for them to get use to coming.  The grandmother may like spending mornings with her.  I know i use to feel bad leaving my son at day care all day so when i could I would keep him home for breakfast with me and them take him, and i would pick him up right after class.  Our daughter has been going to infant care at church for almost a year now and she still cries when i drop her off.  She attached to her grandmother.

big.city.mama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM
She might be scared no one will come back for her especially if she was abandoned by her mother if that is the case
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)