• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Today in Black History - May 5

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
5 moms liked this

The Chicago Defender, which was founded by Robert S. Abbott on May 5, 1905, once heralded itself as "The World's Greatest Weekly."

by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MsJenkins304
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Wow!

janitablue
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you I had to look up for more information.

Biographies
Robert S. Abbott
Robert S. Abbott 

Robert Sengstacke Abbott (1870-1940)
newspaper publisher and editor

Robert S. Abbott was born in 1870 in Frederica, St. Simons Island, Georgia of former slave parents, and studied the printing trade at Hampton Institute from 1892 to 1896. He received a law degree from Kent College of Law, Chicago in 1898, but because of race prejudice in the United States was unable to practice, despite attempts to establish law offices in Gary, Indiana, Topeka, Kansas, and Chicago, Illinois. In 1905 he founded The Chicago Defender with an initial investment of 25 cents. The Defender, which was once heralded as "e;The World's Greatest Weekly"e;, soon became the most widely circulated black newspaper in the country, and made Abbott one of the first self-made millionaires of African American descent. Abbott also published a short-lived paper called Abbott's Monthly. He died of Bright's disease on February 29, 1940, and left the paper in the control of his heir and nephew, John Henry Sengstacke.

FURTHER READING 

Ottley, Roi. The Lonely Warrior: The Life and Times of Robert S. Abbott. Chicago: H. Regnery Co., 1955.

ninamsi
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad that I peaked your interest.

Quoting janitablue:

BiographiesRobert S. AbbottRobert S. Abbott 

Robert Sengstacke Abbott (1870-1940)newspaper publisher and editor

Robert S. Abbott was born in 1870 in Frederica, St. Simons Island, Georgia of former slave parents, and studied the printing trade at Hampton Institute from 1892 to 1896. He received a law degree from Kent College of Law, Chicago in 1898, but because of race prejudice in the United States was unable to practice, despite attempts to establish law offices in Gary, Indiana, Topeka, Kansas, and Chicago, Illinois. In 1905 he founded The Chicago Defender with an initial investment of 25 cents. The Defender, which was once heralded as "e;The World's Greatest Weekly"e;, soon became the most widely circulated black newspaper in the country, and made Abbott one of the first self-made millionaires of African American descent. Abbott also published a short-lived paper called Abbott's Monthly. He died of Bright's disease on February 29, 1940, and left the paper in the control of his heir and nephew, John Henry Sengstacke.

FURTHER READING Ottley, Roi. The Lonely Warrior: The Life and Times of Robert S. Abbott. Chicago: H. Regnery Co., 1955.

janitablue
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Honestly I enjoy post like this. In my perfect world I would have a library in my own home on African American and Caribbean history,bio, fiction , non fiction books. Thank you for peaking my interest looking forward to learning more.

Quoting ninamsi:

I'm glad that I peaked your interest.

Quoting janitablue:

BiographiesRobert S. AbbottRobert S. Abbott 

Robert Sengstacke Abbott (1870-1940)newspaper publisher and editor

FURTHER READING Ottley, Roi. The Lonely Warrior: The Life and Times of Robert S. Abbott. Chicago: H. Regnery Co., 1955.

ayacocca
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for doing these
ninamsi
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:22 PM
You're welcome!

Quoting ayacocca: Thanks for doing these
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)