Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Breastfeeding and such

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 11:19 AM
  • 8 Replies

I breastfed my youngest dd for about three months until I had to go back to work and then I would breast feed her when I got home and then she went to formula sadly but there was quite a lot of information I learned.  If you feel like something is wrong with your supply there are many different avenues you can take. Some people are anti pumping...I am not because I would pump for dd during my breaks.

I suggest getting a hospital grade one. If you have  health insurance they will help you pay for it the downside though is they may pay for a really cheap one.Sometimes renting might be better if you get something way better then what your insurance company offers. 

Ways to up your supply that I have learned are lactation cookies. Here is one recipe I found

Chocolate Chip Toffee Lactation Cookie, Ingredients:

• 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup coconut oil
  • 1 cup oat flour (How to Make Oat Flour)
  • 2 cups quick cooking/instant oats
  • 2 heaping tablespoons milled/ground flaxseed
  • 2 heaping tablespoons brewer's yeast (Brewer's yeast is a little bit bitter.  If you find the bitterness coming through, just stick with two regular tablespoons rather than heaping!)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup toffee bits
  • 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate or semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • pinch of salt

Chocolate Chip Toffee Lactation Cookie, Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  2. Pour into a parchment lined 9x9 metal baking dish.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 - 30 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
  4. Remove from oven and allow to cool.  While still warm, use a sharp knife to cut into bars or squares. 
  5. Store in an airtight container. 
  6. Enjoy!

If you want something different pinterest  has a whole bunch of them and there is also fenugreek now it doesn't make you smell the best all the time but it does help. 

If you want a great book on breastfeeding Ina May Gaskin has a wonderful book about it called Ina Mays guide to breastfeeding. This women was a serious inspiration to me during my whole second pregnancy because her books taught me not to fear birth and to realize everything is temporary. Her breastfeeding book was also really great.

I am a big breasted women I am talking 46 DD and dd was very much fed well while she was doing breastfeeding so you big breasted women't think you can't breast feed to. There are several positions you can breastfeed in.Mine was always the football hold and the side one when she fed at night. 

I am the "hippie' in my family so I also co slept when she was breastfeeding and was confident with it I dont suggest that for everyone it worked for my family so it was easier for me to breastfeed. 

Just to add Always make sure you have the correct latch which will take a few tries. Before you leave the hospital with your baby make sure you speak with the lactation people they are so much help.

If anyone has anything to add please feel free to.

by on May. 15, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LNLMommy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Great post!

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM

thank you

Quoting LNLMommy:

Great post!

navybeauty88
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM
Lactation cookies though? Sounds delicious. Perfect excuse to bake and eat some cookies lol.
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on May. 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

bump for mommies with babies!

MANILOVE
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM
I breastfed my son for about 10mths and he didn't want to nurse anymore. My 2yrs dd was exclusively breastfed for about 16mths, it was a wonderful experience. I did purchase fenugreek and the milk tea and I did not see a different in milk production. If we have another child I will do it again. Also I was lucky my insurance paid for my breast pump.
PrEgGoSaUrUs
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM
I could go for some lactation cookies. I probably won't be the only one chowing down on them though.
leaniece
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I breastfed all four of my kids for at least a year. The longest I breastfed was with my daughter for two years. My advice to nursing mommies would be to make sure you nurse frequently. Engorgement is no fun. But overall, I have no regrets and loved the bonding time I had with my children.
Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on May. 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

That's awesome.  Glad you nursed your baby for as lon as you could

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)