Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Hair Loss after baby...

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:47 AM
  • 15 Replies
So I just blowed dried my hair and it seems so thin now and I know I read it's normal just not expecting it already. I'm 9 weeks post partum. What would you recommend to help thicken it back up or to stop further damage and shedding?
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nopenope666
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:48 AM
Less heat more moisture. No heat if you can help it.
navybeauty88
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:54 AM
I have been taking biotin pills and it has helped. But it kinda just has to run it's course until your hormones get back on track. Also try low manipulation hair styles where you don't have to mess with your hair too much.
Babujai
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM

In general I agree with the previous ladies: less heat, less manipulation and more moisture.  I've heard some really good things about Jamaican Black Castor Oil reviving edges and thickening hair, but I don't have any personal experience with it. 

Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Keep it trimmed and moisturized. I didn't think it would happen to me, but at my 6 week follow-up, my doc actually recommended I keep taking my prenatal vitamins. I should have listened because like a week later I thought I was going ball. My beautician told me there was nothing I could do but to keep me and my hair hydrated. It stopped like month 4. My coworker was having problem up until month 10.

Secretly101
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM
What type of moisture do you recommend? I was so surprised because my hair is already fine. Now it's super fine when I straighten it. I plan on not doing that again. Do you know of any vitamins/supplements to take to help?

Quoting nopenope666: Less heat more moisture. No heat if you can help it.
Secretly101
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM
I have still been taking prenatal vitamins but it hasn't seemed to help and my nails are super brittle as well. What moisturizer do you recommend?

Quoting Sigmalade:

Keep it trimmed and moisturized. I didn't think it would happen to me, but at my 6 week follow-up, my doc actually recommended I keep taking my prenatal vitamins. I should have listened because like a week later I thought I was going ball. My beautician told me there was nothing I could do but to keep me and my hair hydrated. It stopped like month 4. My coworker was having problem up until month 10.

nopenope666
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I use shea moisture. Its in a orange/pinkish container at Walgreens. They have a leave in, a mask for in the shower, and a conditioner that I loooove.

Quoting Secretly101: What type of moisture do you recommend? I was so surprised because my hair is already fine. Now it's super fine when I straighten it. I plan on not doing that again. Do you know of any vitamins/supplements to take to help?

Secretly101
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM
As far as low manipulation, what do you sugges? Sorry I'm desperate. My hair really fine.

Quoting navybeauty88: I have been taking biotin pills and it has helped. But it kinda just has to run it's course until your hormones get back on track. Also try low manipulation hair styles where you don't have to mess with your hair too much.
Secretly101
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Ok. My natural hair is really curly so I am thinking I am going to have to wear it curly for a while until it fills back in. My edges are shot and everything. I will try that product.Thanks.

Quoting nopenope666: I use shea moisture. Its in a orange/pinkish container at Walgreens. They have a leave in, a mask for in the shower, and a conditioner that I loooove.

Quoting Secretly101: What type of moisture do you recommend? I was so surprised because my hair is already fine. Now it's super fine when I straighten it. I plan on not doing that again. Do you know of any vitamins/supplements to take to help?

nopenope666
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Mine is curly too. The orage container is called curl moisture or something like that, I'm too lazy to go into the bathroom and look but it defines the curls and my hair looks amazing after I use it...I go mask, then conditioner, then leave in:) good luck!

Quoting Secretly101: Ok. My natural hair is really curly so I am thinking I am going to have to wear it curly for a while until it fills back in. My edges are shot and everything. I will try that product.Thanks.

Quoting nopenope666: I use shea moisture. Its in a orange/pinkish container at Walgreens. They have a leave in, a mask for in the shower, and a conditioner that I loooove.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN