Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Dreadlock Opinions Please!!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM
  • 18 Replies

I was thinking of locking my hair.  I have worn hairstyles that were similar to locks so I can have an idea of what they would look like, but I'm unsure if I want to actually get them done.  I don't care about cutting them out once I'm tired of them, because I feel like it's just hair and hair would eventually grow back.  There is this model named Nerissa Irving that I seek for advice on women's health.  I absolutely love her locks.  There is a picture of her in this post.  There are also 2 pictures of me, so you ladies can have an idea of what I can possible look like with locks. The hairstyles that I have in these picture are not exactly locks, but they have a similar kinky/natural appearance.

by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ayacocca
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a fan of locs, as long as their kept..
My friend who has locs would die if he heard you say , dread lol. In his words:
"There are nothing dreadful about locks; understand it before you say it"
Diamond2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Lol, great advice.  I'll start saying locs from here on out instead of dreads. lol

Quoting ayacocca: I am a fan of locs, as long as their kept.. My friend who has locs would die if he heard you say , dread lol. In his words: "There are nothing dreadful about locks; understand it before you say it"

Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:29 AM

Are you wondering if you should loc your own hair?

cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I think you would look pretty with locs you are gorgeous
MANILOVE
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Go for it, locs are versatile. I think it would look nice on you, but I don't like the locs bang the model have.
babyblue415
by bubbles on Aug. 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM
I don't have an opinion on the hair all I got is damn you are beautiful
LOruns_it
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Grl get your loc on! Im 22, an had mine since i was in middle school. I love them, i get alot of attention bc of them (good n bad - ppl think i have extensions smh). Now, they are about the length of Nerissa's... I cut a couple inches off last month. The pros about locs: easy to manage, many natural styles, helps ur hair grow stronger n faster, less chemicals, you can get sista locs (thin) or traditional (like mine, a lil thick) and overall i think it brings the natural beauty of a woman (and man) out.. And like u said, if u dnt like them u can always cut them out.. hair grows back ;-) Just remember, if u do loc up, no matter how u choose to start them (cut ur hair and start small coils to scalp, lng coils or 2strand, etc.) everyone has to go thru the "UGLY PHASE" lol. once u get thru that, u will be glad u stuck it out! take it from the girl that cut her hair off to loc, had braces, wore glasses and was going thru puberty (oily face, pimples, etc.) all at once!!! Im so glad i stuck it out bc i was going thru an UGLY phase indeed lol an now u would never know. Ill take locs over weave or anything else anyday.. No offense to those who weave it up but #TeamNaturalBeauty over here!!

You Can Be SOLO, but Y.O.L.O. !!!
ayacocca
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Ew me either

Quoting MANILOVE: Go for it, locs are versatile. I think it would look nice on you, but I don't like the locs bang the model have.
Goodybag1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to follow her on twitter, they really look good on her. I wouldn't, it's not for me. I seen Kevin Harts ex wife hers are cute too & I like the rapper khia's I think I spelled that right. Anyway good luck.
MANILOVE
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol you funny....it amaze me how long our hair can grow when we don't put nasty chemical on them

Quoting LOruns_it:

Grl get your loc on! Im 22, an had mine since i was in middle school. I love them, i get alot of attention bc of them (good n bad - ppl think i have extensions smh). Now, they are about the length of Nerissa's... I cut a couple inches off last month. The pros about locs: easy to manage, many natural styles, helps ur hair grow stronger n faster, less chemicals, you can get sista locs (thin) or traditional (like mine, a lil thick) and overall i think it brings the natural beauty of a woman (and man) out.. And like u said, if u dnt like them u can always cut them out.. hair grows back ;-) Just remember, if u do loc up, no matter how u choose to start them (cut ur hair and start small coils to scalp, lng coils or 2strand, etc.) everyone has to go thru the "UGLY PHASE" lol. once u get thru that, u will be glad u stuck it out! take it from the girl that cut her hair off to loc, had braces, wore glasses and was going thru puberty (oily face, pimples, etc.) all at once!!! Im so glad i stuck it out bc i was going thru an UGLY phase indeed lol an now u would never know. Ill take locs over weave or anything else anyday.. No offense to those who weave it up but #TeamNaturalBeauty over here!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN