Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorority Sisters gets Cancelled

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:31 PM
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone heard the news of this I guess VH1 pulled the plug on the show, they are supposed to air the final episode on Friday night and never show re-runs of it. is there any sorrors on here? how did you guys in general feel about the show?

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a member of Sigma Gamma Rho. I only saw the first two episodes of the show and I saw no problem with it. I think people who boycotted the show just wanted something to do. Bad Girls, Real Housewives, Mob Wives, those gospel shows and other reality shows do so much more harm in portraying AA women in a negative light. Most of the show was centered around AKA/Delta beef. 

cheetah90210
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:58 PM
Yeah I heard but why not the rest of the crazy shows.
Mommy2Bri425
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:07 AM
Why cancel that and not the rest of them? What's the difference?
navybeauty88
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:50 AM
Finally a soror with some sense. I agree with what you said. It's like why be offended by this show and not the rest of the ratchet shows? Last time I checked, these women are black before they were Greeks. It didn't make any sense to me. On another note, I never watched the show. I just wondered what all the uproar was about when the majority of those women probably watch Real Housewives of ATL, Love & Hip Hop, etc. Seem kind of backwards.

Quoting Sigmalade:

I am a member of Sigma Gamma Rho. I only saw the first two episodes of the show and I saw no problem with it. I think people who boycotted the show just wanted something to do. Bad Girls, Real Housewives, Mob Wives, those gospel shows and other reality shows do so much more harm in portraying AA women in a negative light. Most of the show was centered around AKA/Delta beef. 

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:42 AM
I didn't even know they had this show until I was watching Roland Martin on News one on one.
Bunsmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 11:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm a Delta, and I boycotted the show GLADLY BOYCOTTED THE SHOW. If that shows a lack of sense, so be it. On every other piece of ratchet television that demeans black women which character stands up and says "hi world, my name is Rachetta Jones and I am a member of XYZ org" and in the name of their organization acts an ass on television for the world to see? Point them out, I'll wait. The rest of these shows; BBW, LHHNY, RHOWHERETHEFREAKEVER all stand on their own names or on the names of the men they screw; they never represented an entire organization of others. Even when K. Michelle was on LLHA acting a fool most of society had no clue or inclination that she was a Delta because that's not how she was collecting her paper. No one cared if these fools wanted to earn fame by getting on TV and playing the part of the newest jiggaboo (even though, good grief who is not tired of black women getting on TV playing the stereotypical jiggaboo) hell, that's fine that's your life live it the way you want just don't call yourself my sister or Soror while doing so!
As for the the feud and the ignorance of standing on TV saying that there has always been a rivalry between Deltas and AKAs was just ignorant and when you think about the fact that these two were the two with the most members cast on the show and acting a fool what was the intent towards these two organizations.
I'm very happy it's cancelled, I'm very pleased with the way the leadership of both Delta and AKA chose to deal with these women who decided they had the right to sell out legacies and history for their own gains. Speaking recklessly on TV saying things that should not have been uttered in mixed company let alone on national TV! Even my mom was like "your Sorors doing too much!"
Stormywaters03
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2015 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a Delta and I cheerfully showed my distaste by not tuning in. I was very happy the show was cancelled. I also don't watch ANY of the other shows you named, I am not entertained by the misery, nor do I care to "eavesdrop" on the drama of others. I don't even watch court tv....it's just so sad to me. I'm not much of a tv watcher anyway.

DST (and I assume the other D9 sororities) have strict protocol as to how you act in your letters or while representing the organization, that was my issue with this particular show; it was an inaccurate portrayal of something I hold sacred. I watched the promos and made my decision based on that.

I think it's an amazing display of what can be accomplished if we simply refuse to support something. I can't think of anything in recent history we've accomplished by boycotting and that is a really powerful thing.

Bunsmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2015 at 6:15 AM
3 moms liked this
Piggy backing on Stormy, what is really upsetting me now is how instead of us coming together and saying "let's ALL put our collective resources together and get rid of all these shows that our killing women of color on the screen" there's this whole new push of "hate BGLOS"! The continuous question of "why this show, why aren't they concerned with any of the others" unless someone joined in the boycott and seen the discussions where as one collective unit we came together and said after this one we're going after all ratchet TV, you wouldn't have any idea; but question is always what are YOU doing about black women being destroyed on TV? Yet mad that for some of us these women making a mockery of our organizations meant so much to us that we decided to stand together and fight.
How many of you know that Rosa Parks was not the first woman of color who refused to give up her seat? She wasn't, but her face was the face used to set of the event that would accomplish the goal of allowing blacks to ride the bus free from the fear of giving up their seats. While I'm quite sure there were some people crying "why they wait for her to not get up before saying something" I'd like to believe the majority said "now is the time to better our plight!" I'm struggling with understanding why blacks; especially BLACK WOMEN are not saying "now is the time to better our plight!"
Captzsss
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2015 at 11:41 AM

I am a Zeta and what Buns and Stormy said x's 2.  Glad it's gone.  

moosesmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2015 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

How do I feel about the show? The same way I feel about the Love and Hip Hop and Housewives franchise. It provides entertainment. It's messy and drama-filled. I'm not a member of any sorority but I don't think the show was a good look for these organizations. 

Whether these women think so or not, they did go on this show representing their organization. Like Buns said these women introduced themselves as by name and organization. Not only that but I feel like their charity work was often overshadowed by their shenanigans. What organization or business wants to be associated with negative publicity and poor behavior? NONE! I don't think these women are being singled out, the rules apply with any business. People have been fired for things they post on private Facebook pages, why would this situation be any different than that? You could also view their expulsion as being fired from a job for poor conduct.

I don't condone the threats and harassment these women have received but I don't think their decision to do the show (WHILE representing their sororities) was the best idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)