Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dear White People

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:02 PM
  • 12 Replies

Randomly picked this up from my local library yesterday knowing nothing about it. I had assumed it would be a comedy similar to Undercover Brother, White Chicks, or Ladies Man.

Instead it was about race relations at a college campus. I think this movie was very interesting. It focuses on a variety of characters and their behavior/views on how they see themselves and racism in America. I feel like there was a character for everyone to relate to. What saddens me is the climax of this movie is a Hip Hop party thrown by white college students, who show up in black face and pretty much laugh at what they consider black culture. At the end of the movie they show 5-6 news articles and pictures of REAL students who actually threw these parties at well known colleges!

My dd was in shock. She said mom I thought this movie was fiction. I didn't think people actually did stuff like that.

Has anyone else seen this? If so what did you think? If you haven't would you? Why or why not? I grew up watching Spike Lee movies with my dad. I feel like this movie would fit in with his collection.

Here is an interview with the two lead female characters

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:55 PM

my brother recently watched it and told me it was good. i remember when the colleges did the hiphop party and one white sorority got in trouble for the chinese party.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:19 PM
I would like to watch this movie. I will pick it up the next time I go to the library.
Thanks for sharing!
taylorsmom1987
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:01 PM
I haven't seen it but i would definitely watch it
nickilove2984
by on Feb. 5, 2015 at 12:08 PM
I watched this a couple of months ago and I liked it, I didn't think I would but I did. Definitely worth the watch
Era5182
by on Feb. 5, 2015 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a very good watch...it's along the lines of school daze...without the singing and dancing
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 6, 2015 at 2:00 PM
I requested the movie online on the library website. It has a long waiting list!
I'm number 134 of 139 requests. Hopefully I can see it for free another way before I'm up to number one at the library.
Sydel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Oh wow! That is a long list. My library had two copies sitting on the new release shelf the day I picked it up. But I have not seen it since. (I go there almost daily). 

Quoting diaperstodating: I requested the movie online on the library website. It has a long waiting list! I'm number 134 of 139 requests. Hopefully I can see it for free another way before I'm up to number one at the library.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 6, 2015 at 4:06 PM
I go about once a week. I will try to remember to check on the new release shelf every time I go.

Quoting Sydel:

Oh wow! That is a long list. My library had two copies sitting on the new release shelf the day I picked it up. But I have not seen it since. (I go there almost daily). 

Quoting diaperstodating: I requested the movie online on the library website. It has a long waiting list!
I'm number 134 of 139 requests. Hopefully I can see it for free another way before I'm up to number one at the library.

Sydel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2015 at 4:07 PM

My office is 3 buildings away from our library. I usually go walk around and take advantage of their wifi on my lunch breaks.

Quoting diaperstodating: I go about once a week. I will try to remember to check on the new release shelf every time I go.
Quoting Sydel:

Quoting diaperstodating: I requested the movie online on the library website. It has a long waiting list! I'm number 134 of 139 requests. Hopefully I can see it for free another way before I'm up to number one at the library.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Apr. 28, 2015 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I've been on the waiting list since February 4th!
I received this email today. Finally I'm up for it!
I could have rented it from Redbox, but since I am getting it from the library it's free, and I can keep it for a week.

Quoting diaperstodating: I would like to watch this movie. I will pick it up the next time I go to the library.
Thanks for sharing!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)