Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Afro Ball Invite!!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:06 AM
  • 23 Replies

My dd received an invitation to participate in this year's afro ball. It's the first time they have ever allowed middle schoolers to participate.

You need 4 sponsors to gain an invitation.  She is being sponsored by her Vice Principal, an Afro Ball alumni, a local pastor who is on the Black Educators board, and a former school board member.

This invite came out of nowhere and shocked us both. Participants are limited to 10 max.  There is a meeting tonight to get more info.

She will have to showcase a talent, model in formal wear, and do an onstage interview.

She is incredibly excited about this. I still can't get over the fact that she was invited. Should I send the sponsors thank you cards now or after she participates?

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:43 AM
This is a pageant?
Why is it called Afro Ball?
MANILOVE
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Awesome sauce!! Grongrat to her. Send it after
Sydel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:58 AM
Its similar to a pageant but not. Its hosted by our local NAACP chapter and the Black Educators. The participants are considered that years must influential, intelligent, AA role models in our community. Boys participate too. Its more of a showcase. It's been around for over 45 years.

Quoting luvthagirl: This is a pageant?
Why is it called Afro Ball?
ayacocca
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I can appreciate the history & backing of it, but "afro ball"? Lol
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:55 PM
Congratulations to her!
Sydel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Yeah it doesn't really make sense. There is no dance. But I'm not the one who named it LOL

Quoting ayacocca: I can appreciate the history & backing of it, but "afro ball"? Lol

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 11:28 AM
I agree, I'm 100% for the cause but "Afro Ball" really tho? Sounds a little to stereotypical for my likings

Quoting ayacocca: I can appreciate the history & backing of it, but "afro ball"? Lol
Sydel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 11:30 AM

I did not name the event. It has a 40+ year history.. 

Quoting luvthagirl: I agree, I'm 100% for the cause but "Afro Ball" really tho? Sounds a little to stereotypical for my likings

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 11:41 AM
Of course I know you didn't name it, nobody insinuated otherwise

Quoting Sydel:

Quoting luvthagirl: I agree, I'm 100% for the cause but "Afro Ball" really tho? Sounds a little to stereotypical for my likings

Sydel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 11:52 AM

I never suggested that you did..

Quoting luvthagirl: Of course I know you didn't name it, nobody insinuated otherwise
Quoting Sydel:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)