Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I kinda want to stop (Bible study related)

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:15 PM
  • 29 Replies
Long story short:

Around a year ago, I stopped going to church bc the churches that I had been attending, in my opinion, were beginning to focus on head counts, $$$, and status. All of my life I've had this love for The Most High & an eagerness to please Him, but I'm in no way religious.
Anyway, I accepted a Bible study from a JW shortly after I stopped going. These studies are intense; eye opening even. I even went to a service or two of theirs just to see what was really going on. After much meditating and thought, I decided to not attend another meeting and I even told my Bible study lady this, bc I had no intent what so ever to join; I simply enjoyed studying with her. She states that she's fine with this, but here lately as this study is almost finished, her agenda to get me to join is so blatant. Our studies normally last about 30-40 min; now, they go for over an hour of her persisting me to join because " she's worried for myself and my kids". I love this lady; I've never met someone so faithful & committed to the cause.. But I'm tempted to tell her that I don't want to do this anymore. I probably have a few more chapters left to do..

Would you just finish the lesson, to complete it for your own knowledge or quit completely?

Sigh.
by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Frankiexo
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I am in bible study and i wouldnt attened one that made me feel uncomfortable like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ayacocca
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM
It was so cool at first bc of all of the research and history of the Word... But now that this whole " you need to join" vibe has kicked in, its uncomfortable.

Quoting Frankiexo: I am in bible study and i wouldnt attened one that made me feel uncomfortable like that.

mlomax07
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 5:13 PM
2 moms liked this

ayococca...

you definitely should be comfortable on your personal spiritual journey...my question is do you feel uncofortable with her pressure to join the faith, or do you feel deep down inside that you dont believe in the teachings of this religion?  jw do not hold the same beliefs as Christianity...many of thier beliefs and doctrines goes against what the bible teaches...this is pure fact...perhaps God is gently nudging you in his direction, however he is allowing this unsettlement in your soul for you to seek him thru other means???  you need to investigate a strong bibical teaching that stays true to what the bible teaches...you will find a peacefulness and a spiritual satisfaction beyond all understanding...i would immediately cease any and all interaction with this group.... 

proverbs 31 woman

mlomax07@yahoo.com
ksbondgirl
by Bond's Girl on May. 17, 2015 at 9:35 PM
5 moms liked this
Tell her that it's about the relationship with Jesus and NOT the church. As we are to be solely accountable to Jesus on our own, she should worry more about her own personal relationship with Him, not yours. She plants the seed, Jesus does the rest.

Quoting ayacocca: It was so cool at first bc of all of the research and history of the Word... But now that this whole " you need to join" vibe has kicked in, its uncomfortable.

Quoting Frankiexo: I am in bible study and i wouldnt attened one that made me feel uncomfortable like that.

ksbondgirl
by Bond's Girl on May. 17, 2015 at 9:38 PM
Aren't JW members held accountable for how many members they bring to thwire church. I heard that they have to get 99 people to join or they are considered not worthy of meeting Jesus?

Quoting mlomax07:

ayococca...

you definitely should be comfortable on your personal spiritual journey...my question is do you feel uncofortable with her pressure to join the faith, or do you feel deep down inside that you dont believe in the teachings of this religion?  jw do not hold the same beliefs as Christianity...many of thier beliefs and doctrines goes against what the bible teaches...this is pure fact...perhaps God is gently nudging you in his direction, however he is allowing this unsettlement in your soul for you to seek him thru other means???  you need to investigate a strong bibical teaching that stays true to what the bible teaches...you will find a peacefulness and a spiritual satisfaction beyond all understanding...i would immediately cease any and all interaction with this group.... 

proverbs 31 woman

ayacocca
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Huh? I think that's a myth...

Quoting ksbondgirl: Aren't JW members held accountable for how many members they bring to thwire church. I heard that they have to get 99 people to join or they are considered not worthy of meeting Jesus?

Quoting mlomax07:

ayococca...

proverbs 31 woman

newwifenmom
by on May. 18, 2015 at 2:05 PM
I'm a JW but even so I'm going to tell you that you have to do what's right for you. Its not for everyone.
ksbondgirl
by Bond's Girl on May. 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM
What is expected of the people who go door to door? Is the whole church population of age to do this? Just asking.

Quoting newwifenmom: I'm a JW but even so I'm going to tell you that you have to do what's right for you. Its not for everyone.
Passionismyname
by on May. 18, 2015 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure God would appreciate you coming to him because you want to. The Bible says no man can come to him unless he draws him so if God does not draw you I'm sure no one can force you to join.You have to become a JW by making your mind over to do God's will, and that's something no one can force upon anyone.

You have to want to do it.

newwifenmom
by on May. 18, 2015 at 2:58 PM
Everyone is expected to go but unless you personally decide to commit to a certain amount of hours the expectation is just that you go out if possible.

Quoting ksbondgirl: What is expected of the people who go door to door? Is the whole church population of age to do this? Just asking.
Quoting newwifenmom: I'm a JW but even so I'm going to tell you that you have to do what's right for you. Its not for everyone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)