Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Trump Supporters tried to take off my head wrap thinking it was a hijab

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:28 AM
  • 13 Replies
Please no judging.... everyone reacts differently so please keep that in mind before commenting please.

Yesterday was so surreal! I've seen on the news, on the internet, and heard stories of Trump supporters getting more aggressive with people. But.... you'd NEVER think it could be you. 😞

I had a head wrap on yesterday while running errands. I went into a local grocery store here in VA, I noticed 2 men seemed to be following me. Old naive me, talked myself out of it. I was like oh no they're not following me, it's just a coincidence we're in the same aisles.
I go down the organic aisle, I'm the only one in the aisle and these same 2 men came into the same aisle. The one man says " I can't wait till Trump gets in office to throw people like you out of here" I instantly thought it's because I'm black. I told him " my ansetors built this country while yours reaped from their hard labor. Black people aren't going anywhere! " He turns to me and says "Bitch please those niggers are another story but you Muslims are terrorists and we'll kill all of you before letting you ever kill another REAL American again!"
Then he proceeds to trying to take my scarf off of my head!!!!
We are tussling at this point. His friend which was laughing the whole time didn't think it was that funny anymore and said don't touch her man and I immediately ran out of the store!
My mind was in flee mode not calling the cops or reporting anything. I live in a small town in Virginia and it's a lot of racism already here. We have crooked cops and officials here. I didn't want to have to go through all of that with my family. Now I'm on the fence... did I wait too late? Should I go to the police? Should I stick my initial gut instinct and just leave it alone?

This was a text I sent a really good friend and I after it all went down. I had so many people who were concerned about my well being so I sent her this:
Aww... the outpouring of love has my heart so filled. I appreciate all of them more than they'll ever know but God has this fight under control. I'm covered and God will handle this. I'm speechless at the outpour of protection from strangers. See... There are still good people in this cruel world.
I could go off the handle, I could pester the police to do something, etc. but the hate is so real that they expect us to do and behave with the protests, riots looting, arguing, etc. we go high! I will not walk in fear I will continue to wear my wrap on my head, I will continue to be the same strong God fearing woman I am and God will handle this in the way he wants me to. I'm praying for his guidance. If he tells me to go the route of the police, I will. He will continue to guide my steps. I've learned the hard way to act with emotion and not clearly will cause problems. Problems I want no parts of.
All that comes to my mind right now is
Ecclesiastes 3:8

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
ksbondgirl
by Bond's Girl on Nov. 17, 2016 at 10:22 AM

...and add to the fact that not EVERY head covering is the same either!

There are:

Hijabs - scarves draped around the head and neck

Sheila - large, rectangular scarf draped around the head and extends to the shoulders

Niqabs - you can only see the eyes

Batulas - like a small face mask worn over a Hijab

Burqas - no facial features can show and it has a see through net for eyes

Doa Gaun - a gown and headscarf covering that extends down to the knees, used for praying

Chador - a headscarf that extends a little past the elbow

Not only do "they" not know their head wraps, "they" also don't know who is and isn't Arabic.  I have been verbally accosted because some of "them" thought I was Middle Eastern. "They" were so shocked to find out "they" were wrong!  LOL!

Quoting SunFlower700:

Stores have security cameras. File a police report. People like that are plain ignorant. When 9/11 happened some of my neighbours who are Sikh and not Muslim were harassed by a group of white people. Wouldn't matter if they were Muslim, they did nothing wrong. Some people are ignorant to the fact that head coverings are used in other religions and some as culture and fashion statements.

hotspice58
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I"m sorry you went through that.  I know the feeling about cops - not crooked, just racist.  Years ago, a white man had a gun in front of my family's house and white cops did absolutely nothing. 

sommerrae
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM
I'm glad someone can relate.
tiffluv81
by Jjsmom on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:38 PM

wow. I am sorry... So sorry

Twisted_Halo
by Crime-Book Junkie on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:55 PM

I'm so sorry ☹

ksbondgirl
by Bond's Girl on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:12 PM
If we keep putting up with this, they will either keep doing it or do bolder things to us.

IT NEEDS TO STOP NOW!

Quoting sommerrae: Please no judging.... everyone reacts differently so please keep that in mind before commenting please.

Yesterday was so surreal! I've seen on the news, on the internet, and heard stories of Trump supporters getting more aggressive with people. But.... you'd NEVER think it could be you. 😞

I had a head wrap on yesterday while running errands. I went into a local grocery store here in VA, I noticed 2 men seemed to be following me. Old naive me, talked myself out of it. I was like oh no they're not following me, it's just a coincidence we're in the same aisles.
I go down the organic aisle, I'm the only one in the aisle and these same 2 men came into the same aisle. The one man says " I can't wait till Trump gets in office to throw people like you out of here" I instantly thought it's because I'm black. I told him " my ansetors built this country while yours reaped from their hard labor. Black people aren't going anywhere! " He turns to me and says "Bitch please those niggers are another story but you Muslims are terrorists and we'll kill all of you before letting you ever kill another REAL American again!"
Then he proceeds to trying to take my scarf off of my head!!!!
We are tussling at this point. His friend which was laughing the whole time didn't think it was that funny anymore and said don't touch her man and I immediately ran out of the store!
My mind was in flee mode not calling the cops or reporting anything. I live in a small town in Virginia and it's a lot of racism already here. We have crooked cops and officials here. I didn't want to have to go through all of that with my family. Now I'm on the fence... did I wait too late? Should I go to the police? Should I stick my initial gut instinct and just leave it alone?

This was a text I sent a really good friend and I after it all went down. I had so many people who were concerned about my well being so I sent her this:
Aww... the outpouring of love has my heart so filled. I appreciate all of them more than they'll ever know but God has this fight under control. I'm covered and God will handle this. I'm speechless at the outpour of protection from strangers. See... There are still good people in this cruel world.
I could go off the handle, I could pester the police to do something, etc. but the hate is so real that they expect us to do and behave with the protests, riots looting, arguing, etc. we go high! I will not walk in fear I will continue to wear my wrap on my head, I will continue to be the same strong God fearing woman I am and God will handle this in the way he wants me to. I'm praying for his guidance. If he tells me to go the route of the police, I will. He will continue to guide my steps. I've learned the hard way to act with emotion and not clearly will cause problems. Problems I want no parts of.
All that comes to my mind right now is
Ecclesiastes 3:8

ayacocca
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
This made my stomach turn.. So glad that you weren't physically harmed.
Out of control...
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Stores have security cameras. File a police report. People like that are plain ignorant. When 9/11 happened some of my neighbours who are Sikh and not Muslim were harassed by a group of white people. Wouldn't matter if they were Muslim, they did nothing wrong. Some people are ignorant to the fact that head coverings are used in other religions and some as culture and fashion statements.

sommerrae
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:24 PM
4 moms liked this
I went to the grocery store with the police to get the tape. I filed a report and I have my case number and everything along with the police officer's name and contact information.
Stormywaters03
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2016 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you went back, that was going to be my suggestion. Once someone hit my car while I was in the grocery store and they provided the tape to the police so that they could find the culprit so I was just going to say I know they do it.

Keep us posted, this sucks that this happened to you!

ksbondgirl
by Bond's Girl on Nov. 17, 2016 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

...and add to the fact that not EVERY head covering is the same either!

There are:

Hijabs - scarves draped around the head and neck

Sheila - large, rectangular scarf draped around the head and extends to the shoulders

Niqabs - you can only see the eyes

Batulas - like a small face mask worn over a Hijab

Burqas - no facial features can show and it has a see through net for eyes

Doa Gaun - a gown and headscarf covering that extends down to the knees, used for praying

Chador - a headscarf that extends a little past the elbow

Not only do "they" not know their head wraps, "they" also don't know who is and isn't Arabic.  I have been verbally accosted because some of "them" thought I was Middle Eastern. "They" were so shocked to find out "they" were wrong!  LOL!

Quoting SunFlower700:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)