Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Racism...Is it really the same?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:20 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
I got into it in a different froup with a White girl, and the more I think about it, the more irritated I get.

She was talking about how she "Knows what it's like to look through the eyes of another race" because she went to a predominantly Black school and was bullied. I told her that I'm sorry it happened to her, and that no one deserves that. But to equate that with having to actually live with racism on a daily basis is a slap in the face.

Anyone can be a victim of racism, it's not limited yo people of color. I tried to explain to her that there is a difference between situational racism and institutional racism, that when she left the area where she was mistreated, all that went away. She became just another face in the crowd, no one to be singled out. Which is not nearly the same thing as having to live with it day in and day out, because you cant take off your skin.

If her son decides to go for a run, she doesn't have to worry that the cops will cuff him, throw him in the back, and have him and up dead. If she gets pulled over, she doesn't have to worry that she'll get shot in front of her child. She hasn't been turned down for a job because her name is too ethnic. She may have been followed around a store because she "looked poor", but it's not the same as having people assume you're stealing because of your skin tone.

And yet, I'm the bad guy because I pointed out the difference. Am I crazy, or is there a big difference between the two?
by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ksbondgirl
by Bond's Girl on Jan. 20, 2018 at 6:20 PM

You are correct.

Jinxmom165
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM

You are not crazy

Aolekeia
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2018 at 11:13 AM
3 moms liked this

You are definitely not crazy.  I think it’s very belittling when people try and compare the one time someone said something to them to years of experiences.

Geminirising
by Member on Jan. 27, 2018 at 11:14 PM
3 moms liked this

You are right. White people like to bury their heads in the sand. 

hotspice58
by Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 12:50 PM

You are correct.  and we have to come to terms with the fact that some white folks think everything's hunky dory....

Geminirising
by Member on Feb. 19, 2018 at 9:15 PM

Exactly

Quoting hotspice58:

You are correct.  and we have to come to terms with the fact that some white folks think everything's hunky dory....

STVUstudent
by Member on Feb. 19, 2018 at 9:28 PM

A white gal's perspective here.  I get what you are saying, and personally, I believe that there is a huge difference between situational racism and institutional racism.  I too attended a predominantly black school, but for me it was grad school and it was by choice.  While I did experience what I perceived as racial discrimination in a few instances, the overall experience was one I would not have traded for anything.  It was enlightening, to say the very least, to be in that position of extreme minority.  I had some classes where I was the only white student, and some of my fellow students and some of my professors were quite vocal in their opinion that I had no place there.  At the end of the day, though, I CHOSE to be there.  With the help of some of the most incredible women and men I have ever met  I was able to look outside my own perspective and look at racism in a way that I probably never would have otherwise.

I have an African American child.  I worry for her in ways that I do not worry about my white children.  I have seen the difference in the way people look at my daughters.  I pray she never experiences some of the things my friends told me about.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:19 AM
You are correct.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)