Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to tame nappy hair

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

I wear wigs but my hair is a hot mess!

It's SUPER nappy and breaking off. It's uneven breakage so my hair in the front is much shorter than the back. I have about 1/2 inch of new growth and have decided to let my hair grow out without putting a perm on it. Then I will eventually cut it and hopefully have luxurious virgin hair. :-)

In the meantime, I can't seem to find a good product to put on my hair that keeps it soft and controls the naps. Any product suggestions or remedies would be greatly appreciated!!

frustrated

Follow me on my journey to motherhood at:
http://takesavillagetoraiseachild.blogspot.com/

by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Flawlis1
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 12:55 PM

That's what happens when you are trying to grow out a relaxer.... The hair starts to break off..... you will see alot more too. I would just suggest doing deep conditioning treatments with Hair Mayonnaise, and also do protein treatments with Aphogee 2 step formula. Try and keep it moisturized too, you might want to press out your new growth so it won't be as nappy and break so much. But just because you wear wigs doesn't mean you have to neglect your own hair. Getting braids will also help with your grow out process too. Hope this little bit of info helps :^)

Here's a shovel....... Can you dig it? wink mini

MotherInMyHeart
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Quoting Flawlis1:

That's what happens when you are trying to grow out a relaxer.... The hair starts to break off..... you will see alot more too. I would just suggest doing deep conditioning treatments with Hair Mayonnaise, and also do protein treatments with Aphogee 2 step formula. Try and keep it moisturized too, you might want to press out your new growth so it won't be as nappy and break so much. But just because you wear wigs doesn't mean you have to neglect your own hair. Getting braids will also help with your grow out process too. Hope this little bit of info helps :^)

This is VERY helpful...thanks! I've been neglicting my hair the last few months and now I'm paying for it. I usually keep a perm on it (home perm) and keep it moisturized with heavy grease. But that cheap stuff doesn't work on course hair.

Flawlis1
by on Jul. 11, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Heavy grease!! That's old-school..... and definately NOT  what you should be using. Try using Olive oil, or Avocado oil, that's what I use.

Here's a shovel....... Can you dig it? wink mini

mamajack824
by on Jul. 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Using heavy grease upon your hair is NOT good for it. It clogs the hair follicles, and obstructs the hair's ability to naturally secrete oil. this amount is normally not excessive.  Which seems is your case. Wearing wigs is a sure way to break your hair off, if you are not maintaining underneath, and the same goes for braids, locs, scarves, wraps, etc.  black hair requires daily care, even in the worst times of our lives... As you are experiencing, now.  Try utilizing a hair mayonnaise, as suggested. But, you can use the mayo in your refrigerator, too. Check for allergies, first. Do a hair strand test, to check for possible reactions. You can  use hot to warm water to loosen oiliness on hair strands. Also, the best treatment for dry, rigid hair is a deep conditioning, which is easily done with a plastic cap placed on your mayo treatment, while you clean, exercise, for 15-20 minutes. Wash out, and style and needed. You could return to a well trimmed short "nappy, well-oil nourished haircut, until your hair length is about 4 - 6 inches from your scalp, which allows your hair to recover from the harshness of perms and neglect, and provides a stronger hair shaft. The removal of adding heat would be beneficial, also. Your hair is your "crowning glory," but, it needs to be treated with respect, care, and "safekeeping," until it recovers. Also, when you complete the hair washing process, you should look at the type of products you are placing in your hair.  How much alcohol are you adding to your hairshaft, which a "drying agent!?!" Use non or low alcohol based hair care products.  And placing gel into your hair to hold it down is not good, either... Embrace your hair, learn to look all of its curls, waves, dips, kinks, colors, and beauty... Our hair is beautiful, even when it is short... And the naps and kinks tell a history of strength and endurance from the first village that was raided to raise a nation... (Saw your website).  Also, when you complete your hair shampooing  (2- 3 washes: 1st: Removes outer dirt; 2nd: removes inner cuticle dirt; and 3rd: removes remaining dirt and buildup; finally washing is complete when a "squeaky" sound is heard, as you gently manipulate the hair shaft, and smell "fresh".) Many folks do not know this and do not wash the added products from their hair shafts, and it is nothing worse than smelling dirty hair being blowed dry or hair dried. Your conditioning process should be done at each shampooing, and assists in straightening the hair shaft, and lubricates the shaft. Do not leave non-leave in conditioners in your hair. It breaks th shaft, off.  After completing these steps, the last rinse SHOULD BE COLD!!! The colder the better, plus, it rejunvenates your mind.  Sista girl, allow your hair to dry naturally sometimes, and enjoy the freedom of its splendor... Also, I have a thick head of hair however, my strands can kink up like springs... However, once a month I do a deep oil with an old-fashioned men's hair product, which you can find in Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, Sally's, is Liquid White vitalis. It is hard to find, but I use this as a deep conditioner which I applied to the hair shaft, it is good for lu bricating the shaft, and I place a plastic cap to strengthen the conditoning. I recommend you plan a "self freeing weekend, because your hair will be very oiled, shiny, limp. Do not apply to the scalp!!!! just the shaft.  I have usedthis on my child's hair and it softens the shaft, which regular application. Also, yellow VO5 is an excellent, low oil/gease based hair lubricant that works very well on black hair, and affords great immediate shine, without buildup.  I have using these technigues for years, and I have long, strong, shiny hair that has endured for years... Old fashion things that have stood the test of time, without clogging the hair shaft bulb/follicle... Also, you should look at your diet, stressors, have an annual physical examination, examine minerals and vitamin intake. Most people either take too much or not enough nutirents in their diet. Also, if you mustreturn to wigs, try loking into wigs that do not have a massive webbing that holds the hair, these products irritate the scalp. and if you must scratch, do not use the wig to end the itching, the abrasive webbibg wears down the hair shaft, and do not wear your wigs to bed. Just like you, the hair needs to rest, also. Do not utilize your fingernails or comb teeth to scratch your head or to "scrub" your scalp while shampooing. These items damage the scalp surface, and cause breakage and lacerations to the scalp bed.  Utilize your finger pads to gently rub the scalp surface, and assists in generating the "natural oils," within your hair follicle bad to arise to the scalp surface for natural lubrication.  He can love in the "true natural," as well... LOL   But, nothing works well, if you ignore it and abuse it... Good Luck!

MotherInMyHeart
by on Jul. 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Wow! Thank you so very much mamajack& flawlis for ALL the information!!!!! Mamajack thank you for taking the time to type out all that valuble info!

I'm going to try the regimen you both suggested. I'm ready to start taking better care of my hair now.

I know thick grease is WAY old school. I admit I was being lazy using it to keep my hair moisturized so I wouldn't have to do it daily. However, I didn't know the grease was doing all the things you outlined mamajack. I can say that I haven't used heat on it in several years though...small conciliation. 

I'm going to print out your replies and apply them. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes!!

Thanks again!

you rockthank you

Cjam
by on Jul. 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM

All information offered were excellent suggestion.  And I want to add that if you are interested in maintaining your hair in its natural state try some online support groups that will also offer some homemade hair treatments as well.  One excellent and supportive group is Nappyhair@yahoogroups.com

I've been competely natural for 4 years now and I can truley say that the group has helped me a great deal in learning how to deal with my hair.  And many of the products and/or regimens they suggest often are more cost effective than the over the counter ones.

Just a suggestion.

Cj big smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)