Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Throw your own baby shower?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 6:49 PM
  • 36 Replies

So two friends of mine got into a huge debate about one wanting to throw her own baby shower. What do you think about this?

One said if the other throws her own baby shower it's like asking people for gifts. The other said she is throwing her own baby shower so that it is done the way she wants.

I say, throw your own shower. Some people don't have girlfriends or family members just laying in wait to plan a shower. And some just don't know what to do. If you want it done right, do it yourself. Yes, years ago it was considered bad etiquette, but now who cares. People are going to bring gifts regardless of who throws it. This time is to celebrate the newest addition, who cares who plans it.

by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3girlsihave
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I have a big family and do you think they threw me a shower? Heck no they didn't and it has been 12yr since I had a baby. But I threw my own. Whether who throws it you still will get gifts like you said.

ResearchQueen
by on Aug. 3, 2009 at 9:11 AM

It is not proper but most people don't care about etiquette so it wouldn't surprise me if someone threw their own. Yes, the point of a shower is to shower the person with gifts so it seems like a gift grub and it would turn me off.

I would't do it but I also wouldn't put registry info in my wedding invite so I am a stickler for etiquette.

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Aug. 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I agree! No one understands the importance of a shower! My friend helped with mine&I had friends telling me they were "too" tired to attend! Its a shower, how many of those was I going to have? I say if she wants a shower do it. Even if she doesn't do it herself people may not show anyway! No one checks the registry,or RSVP.*sigh*Its not about the mom its about the baby!

stork

Quoting newmommie06:

I say, throw your own shower. Some people don't have girlfriends or family members just laying in wait to plan a shower. And some just don't know what to do. If you want it done right, do it yourself. Yes, years ago it was considered bad etiquette, but now who cares. People are going to bring gifts regardless of who throws it. This time is to celebrate the newest addition, who cares who plans it.

Women who love Black Men

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22341

mymommasgirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2009 at 5:08 PM

i agree if u want it done right do it yourself and u really cant depend 100% on others some back out at the last minute. i am 6months along my cousin called me saying she wanted to plan it for me and everything i said ok but she never returned my messages or calls for over 1wk so what that tell u ...do it urself so im throwing my own shower and i dont see nothing wrong with it  

blackbeauty28
by on Aug. 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Amen sistah  i wish i would have planned both of mine. 

des10ey
by on Aug. 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I agree, I say throw it yourself.  Times have really changed, if someone were to do it themselves, number one, who has to know but you and others helping out with hosting?  No one has to know, and if they did....who cares?  I say go for it and make it all the more fabulous:-)

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

caramelmom
by on Aug. 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I'm with the others, do it yourself!

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -George Bernard Shaw

Like freebies and samples...sign up here:
http://www.freelunchroom.com/board/index.php?referrerid=155790
a_leigh_d
by Group Mod on Aug. 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Maybe I am old school but I wouldn't and didn't throw my own.   If you don't have anyone who wants to throw you a party maybe there's a reason.  Maybe they cannot afford the time and/or money.  And what is meant by if you want it done right? What's right?  

newmommie06
by on Aug. 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM

"Do it right" to me just meant if there are little things that you know you want at your shower that maybe someone can't afford. I know I am a stickler for certain things and sometimes people can get offended if you try to add your two cent into something they are planning for you. Or maybe someone comes to you and wants to plan it but has no idea how to throw a party..

Now I didn't throw my own for my first kid and I am not throwing the 2 I have for this one. But I am close enough to my mom and my best friend that I am able to add in a couple things.. such as I want it to be a brunch so whatever caterer they go with should have breakfast items etc. And my hubby and I are planning on taking a really nice picture at a wedding we are going to in a couple weeks and I really want that picture to be framed so that people can sign around it at the baby shower. (I did the same at my first shower but the picture was of Bryce's sonograms) Just little stuff like that, that maybe someone else wouldn't feel comfortable making suggestions.

If someone can't afford the time or money that it takes to have a party then that's why I said plan it and see if they wouldn't mind just hosting the day of, or at least have their name on the invite so that people can rsvp.

Quoting a_leigh_d:

Maybe I am old school but I wouldn't and didn't throw my own.   If you don't have anyone who wants to throw you a party maybe there's a reason.  Maybe they cannot afford the time and/or money.  And what is meant by if you want it done right? What's right?  

a_leigh_d
by Group Mod on Aug. 3, 2009 at 6:33 PM

by right way ...you mean your way -LOL

for me it wouldn't matter.  I'd be happy with however they throw the shower. 

Quoting newmommie06:

"Do it right" to me just meant if there are little things that you know you want at your shower that maybe someone can't afford. I know I am a stickler for certain things and sometimes people can get offended if you try to add your two cent into something they are planning for you. Or maybe someone comes to you and wants to plan it but has no idea how to throw a party..

Now I didn't throw my own for my first kid and I am not throwing the 2 I have for this one. But I am close enough to my mom and my best friend that I am able to add in a couple things.. such as I want it to be a brunch so whatever caterer they go with should have breakfast items etc. And my hubby and I are planning on taking a really nice picture at a wedding we are going to in a couple weeks and I really want that picture to be framed so that people can sign around it at the baby shower. (I did the same at my first shower but the picture was of Bryce's sonograms) Just little stuff like that, that maybe someone else wouldn't feel comfortable making suggestions.

If someone can't afford the time or money that it takes to have a party then that's why I said plan it and see if they wouldn't mind just hosting the day of, or at least have their name on the invite so that people can rsvp.

Quoting a_leigh_d:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)