Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cutter life PIOG

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 586 Total Views

So its dream sheet time and my hubby I think is going to put some cutters.  I was just wondering what's it like on your end? What type of ship is your hubby on? How long are they gone? How much time do they get off? When they are in port do they have to report and if so how long is that day? Any info on cutter life is greatly apreciated.  I'm not new to deployment, since my husband is currently stationed in a deployable unit, but never on a cutter, so I was just wondering. One more question, do you communicate with your hubby while he is gone on the ship? Via email, phone, both?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mmh524
by Member on Oct. 14, 2009 at 10:08 AM

anyone?

AmosJomama
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM

So your hubby hasn't been on a ship before?

Just be prepared for alot of work. It's not easy when they are away but most of the time the wives all get together and plan fun activites and get togethers while the ship is out.

It depends on what ship that he gets on as to how long he will be gone. I've had everything from a few days to months. 

I'm here to help you if you have any more questions. Reach out to me anytime.

Amy

CWwsbtbgif.gif Coast Guard Wife image by Isabella_Makayla

AmosJomama
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 12:52 PM

P.S.  I forgot to ask you..........   What are the cutter's he's thinking about going to??

CWwsbtbgif.gif Coast Guard Wife image by Isabella_Makayla

mmh524
by Member on Dec. 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM

No hubby has never been on a coast guard ship before, in his unit he deploys on Navy vessels. 

The cutters he put on his list include the Dolphin, Sentinel ( new one I think), Guardian (another newbie), Drummond, Sitkinak, and perhaps a few others but I can't remember the names, most I think are 110's but I'm not sure. 

Quoting AmosJomama:

So your hubby hasn't been on a ship before?

Just be prepared for alot of work. It's not easy when they are away but most of the time the wives all get together and plan fun activites and get togethers while the ship is out.

It depends on what ship that he gets on as to how long he will be gone. I've had everything from a few days to months. 

I'm here to help you if you have any more questions. Reach out to me anytime.

Amy

CoastieWifePR
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM

My husband served in the USCG cutter Chandeleur for about a year 1/2.  He was gone for 4 weeks, then back for 4 weeks but had to work M-F for indefinite hours during most of those 4 weeks, and had to stay one Saturday a month at the station for extended duty.  I got me a job, put my son in daycare and that helped a lot because I was feeling lonely and bored.  I am so not ready for him to go back to a cutter, specially those that leave for more than a month...  I'm sure it will happen at some point since he wants to serve for 30 years, but still...

CoastieWifePR
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM

oh wow didn't realize this post was so old LOL...  Damn this group has been DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)