Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not a CG wife YET!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 509 Total Views

My husband and I have been married for almost 5 years and we have a 2 year old daughter. Two weeks ago we were discussing our goals and future and my husband randomly ask me how I felt about him joining the CG. At first I wasn't sure but I have been doing non stop research over it and have even talked to a few people about it. I have agreed to let him go ahead and join and he is going to go talk to a recruiter within the next few week. I have a few questions if you ladies could answer them.

1) How long will he have from the time he joins before bootcamp, and then after bootcamp how long until he leaves and gets stationed somewhere?

2) Are the benefits the same as most of the other military branches, and is the pay good? I am currently working and taking classes online and was hoping he would make enough for me to be a full time student.

3) Does childcare get paid for or would we still have to pay for it?

4) Once stationed are you there for good, or do they move you around often?

5) I'm sure this isn't true, but I heard that we could pick where we moved. If so where in FL is the best, and are there bases there?  I want to live by a pretty beach.

6) We currently live in OKLA, does the military help pay for the expense of moving? and would we get discounted airline tickets for visiting home.

7) Do you reccomend me telling him I support him in joining, or should I try to convince him to find something else?

8) Do they help pay for housing if you don't  live on base?

9) Do they ever get evenings, weekends, or other time off when just starting.

10) What are 5 pros and 5 cons in him joining?

*Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for your time!!!

by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Shelly3385
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:21 AM
Ok I'm going to do my best to answer your questions. My husband has been in for almost 6 years now.
1. I have heard that there is a pretty long wait right now from the time you sign up to when he ships out to basic but the recruiter can give him specifics on that. He will get his first assignment straight out of boot camp.
2. The pay and most benefits are pretty much the same as all the other branches. We are way smaller and technically not part of the defense department like all other military branches but that doesn't matter for most things except scholarships like mycaa.
3. Childcare is not paid for. Some larger bases have cdc's but we've never been stationed anywhere that has one and I believe you still pay for that.
4. You move every 2-4 years on
average. Most assignments are for 3 years. If you make rank you usually move because most stations are too small to fleet up at (stay at with the higher pay grade)
5. Your husband will get to make what they call a dream sheet every time he is scheduled move including in boot camp. A dream sheet is where you pick your top choices on where you want to go. In boot camp he will make a list of 10 I believe. Unless he decides to go straight to A school for a critically needed job. In that case he would just go straight to his training school after boot camp.
6. The coast guard will pay for all your moving expenses. I suggest having them move you rather than getting the money to move yourselves. With a kid in the picture it's soo much simpler just to have the movers come and pack up all your things and move you rather than doing it yourself and having to weigh everything and keep all your receipts so you can bre reimbursed later. Some airlines offer military discounts but we usually find better deals just on hotwire or one of the other discount travel sites. The coast guard isn't going to give you money to go visit family tho if that's what you're asking.
7. I love the life in the coast guard. There are some hard times but all in all it's been good. I would still support my husband's decision all over again.
8. There's not really any base housing in the coast guard like in the army or air force. You get a housing allowance that is based on the average rent/mortgage in the area you are stationed in. If you search on google for basic allowance for housing or bah you will find a calculator. He will be an E-2 straight out of basic and you put in the area code for wherever you want to look. You could just search for the city you live in now and that would give you some idea of the amount you'd be getting on average. Higher cost of living areas get more money.
9. Yes he will get days off. He will work a tougher schedule at first until he gets qualified at his new station. Every unit is different tho. My husband was on a 378 foot cutter for his first unit and worked 1 in 3 which meant he spent one 24 hour period on the boat every 3 days. But he also was working the whole work week which is either monday thru thursday or friday depending on the unit.

Quoting Ashes711:

My husband and I have been married for almost 5 years and we have a 2 year old daughter. Two weeks ago we were discussing our goals and future and my husband randomly ask me how I felt about him joining the CG. At first I wasn't sure but I have been doing non stop research over it and have even talked to a few people about it. I have agreed to let him go ahead and join and he is going to go talk to a recruiter within the next few week. I have a few questions if you ladies could answer them.

1) How long will he have from the time he joins before bootcamp, and then after bootcamp how long until he leaves and gets stationed somewhere?

2) Are the benefits the same as most of the other military branches, and is the pay good? I am currently working and taking classes online and was hoping he would make enough for me to be a full time student.

3) Does childcare get paid for or would we still have to pay for it?

4) Once stationed are you there for good, or do they move you around often?

5) I'm sure this isn't true, but I heard that we could pick where we moved. If so where in FL is the best, and are there bases there?  I want to live by a pretty beach.

6) We currently live in OKLA, does the military help pay for the expense of moving? and would we get discounted airline tickets for visiting home.

7) Do you reccomend me telling him I support him in joining, or should I try to convince him to find something else?

8) Do they help pay for housing if you don't  live on base?

9) Do they ever get evenings, weekends, or other time off when just starting.

10) What are 5 pros and 5 cons in him joining?

*Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for your time!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shelly3385
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:41 AM
The pros and cons kinda depend on the person. I like getting to see different places but someone else may not like moving at all. One definite pro is job security. You know he's not going to get laid off. The pay isn't that great until he's made rank. I would suggest he enlist for 6 years active like my husband did so he can come out of boot camp as an E-3 which will give you guys more money starting out. Depending on what kind of bills you guys have tho you should be able to make it work on just his money alone. A negative is that if he's stationed on a cutter which he will be at some point no matter what his recruiter tells him he will be gone for half the year. Smaller boats go out for less time more often, bigger boats go out for longer but less often. The longest any boat is usually out for is 4 months at a time altho there are some new big boats that may be out longer. But it's nothing compared to the year or longer the navy does out to sea. And he's not at war like the army marines or air force.

Oh btw my name is Michelle. We are currently stationed in florida. There are a ton of stations in florida all over the state. My husband is stationed in bradenton right now and before that we were in miami. There are places all along the florida coast you could get stationed. Feel free to message me with any more questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashes711
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Thank you so much for answering my questions, I greatly appreciate it. We heard about the dream list and Florida is def a place that we are hoping to get stationed at.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)