Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi everyone! New here!

Posted by on May. 14, 2008 at 2:41 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 123 Total Views
I am new to this group!  I can't wait to look at all of your posts!  We are camping for the Memorial Day weekend and also moving from FL to CA, next month and we will camp on the way to CA.  I am not a experienced camper, but eager to learn!  If you have any great campfire recipes and must have kitchen tools that don't cost an arm and  a leg I would be all ears!!!
by on May. 14, 2008 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ibeme
by on May. 14, 2008 at 6:54 PM
Welcome ! WOW-you are going on a very long distance from FL to CA! You may not think you are much of a camper now, but you sure will be after that long of a trip!!! Are you tent camping or RVing?

You'll find some great recipes and tricks in this group. It seems to be a little slow lately though......maybe everyone is out camping?
archaeodani
by Member on May. 14, 2008 at 7:06 PM
ohhh oohhhhhh   are you gonna tent camp or rv camp or do the "easy" camping @ KOA'S across the way?? if you do KOA's there are 2 on I-10 thru New Mexico and Arizona that I TOTAAAAALLY recommend = Silver City New Mexico,  and Benson AZ ==

Silver City is just off I-10,  if you get off at Deming, and take NM route 180,  it'll take you RIGHT IN to the SilverCity KOA (about a 55-60 mile trip, but WELL WORTH THE STOP...)

Benson KOA, is off I-10,  maybe 1/2-3/4 mile direct shot off the exit where it is advertised (and I'm sorry I cannot remember the exit number)
Also a pleasant KOA to spend the night.

both are in the 40-45 dollar per night range for Kabins.  Dont know what the tent/RV rates are,  but there's dump stations at both.

It's only about a 2-2.5 hour drive from Silver City/Deming to Benson, so you know...  Pretty drive too..

:-D

Benson to S. California should be about an 8-10 hour drive, depending on traffic if you take I-10.  Beware of going thru Tucson = There's a 15 -mile stretch of I-10 that is completely 40-45 MPH, and only 1 lane.  If you are taking I-10 on your way thru, please plan to try to hit that stretch no earlier than about 10 am and no later than about 3 pm = traffic is horribly heavy at that time (I live in Tucson, cantcha tell....)

If you aren't going via I-10,  then I just gave everyone  else directions to find me ROTFLMAO.....
aebrown
by New Member on May. 14, 2008 at 10:01 PM
Wow, you sure know your freeways! LOL  Ya, as a matter of fact I have been stuck on campgrounds in NM.  I am trying to drive for 9 hours then camp somewhere.  I was looking at Silver City, NM.  I have ended up looking at a campsite in Las Cruces NM.  I think its a KOA.  I have found a really cute campground that my kids will love in LA and TX.  It's Jellystone Campground?  Yogi Bear campgrounds.  After TX, there aren't any of them along the 10 which is what we are mostly taking.  I will definately keep in mind the KOA campgrounds you referred.  I will check them out.  We will be camping in a tent. Ya, my body will probably be sore!  We will have a test run Memorial Day weekend!  So we'll see! LOL
aebrown
by New Member on May. 14, 2008 at 10:05 PM
Ya, I know I'm not much of a camper now.  I hope to be a pro by the time my journey ends in CA.  I am hoping to fall in love with it.  Times have changed, luxuries that we used to have are gone.  Camping is an inexpensive way to spend time with your family and have a nice getaway!  I am tent camping.  We have basics, tent, air mattress, a few kitchen items.  Nothing fancy.  I WILL be buying one of those tents that keeps the bugs out!!! Last time I went camping the freaking mosquitos were biting me legs through my jeans!  I think I counted like 70 mosquito bites between my 2 legs!!  The bugs were SO gross.  I need a place for serenity! LOL 
archaeodani
by Member on May. 15, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Quoting aebrown:

Wow, you sure know your freeways! LOL 
LOL - I live in Tucson,  and we just came back from the KOA in Silver City - delayed honeymoon last weekend. = I know the I-10 Deming to Silver City route ONLY because we got lost on that road trying to get to the Gila Cliff Dwellings - it's an easy road = but keep your speed AT the posted limit = 15 minutes after heading out we got stopped by Grant County Sherrif for doing +10 LMAO...

As for food/cooking supplies, etc...
*all your stuff should be plastic or metal (dishes, plates, bowls, etc)
*get a BIG box of heavy duty foil - you can cook durn near anything in foil packets
believe it or not, sometimes the bigger cities you passthru & have truckstops on the side of the highway will have comparable pricing on groceries as in-town stores - try to travel light if you can
*get a pair of work gloves and long oven mitts = you may need them both to handle hot food/fire etc..
*dollar stores are the best for the serving utensils  (I don't camp with disposable stuff = I use a 3-bucket wash system = wash, rinse, sanitize, hang from a line to dry...
*coleman 2-burner campstoves aren't cheap, but worth it (50 or so)
archaeodani
by Member on May. 15, 2008 at 10:17 AM
as for mosquitos = get a stash of Avon skin so soft body oil or whatever it is = i swear it keeps mosquitos away, and it'll soothe skin if you get a burn too
Kivara
by on May. 18, 2008 at 1:20 PM
I found a great pack of heavy duty plastic utensils (I think 18 utensils) in a plastic mesh bag at Wal*Mart for $1-2.

In the camping section of Wal*Mart, they have a small fire-safe non-stick skillet. The handle folds into the middle for packing. It was under $20. I LOVE mine, used it MANY times & it's still going strong, and a lot lighter than cast iron. (Though I do take one cast-iron skillet too)

The green biodegradable soap (Wal*Mart about $3) is awesome. Super-concentrated & can be used for hair, body, dishes, clothes, etc.

I am NOT a "scrapbooker." I am a  "High Grade Paper and Expensive Embellishment Archivalist," thank you very much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)