Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

reusing this how?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 196 Total Views

Hey ladies,

I have been trying to use the three r’s lately. Im not a sewer but want to start. I have so many clothes around the house. My dd is growing like a weed and I have all her first 1 ½ year clothes, my sons, dh, and mine. Some of them have really cool fabrics, designs, and buttons that I love. I want to start cutting them up and playing with it all. Im thinking blankets, pillows, curtains, ect. I really need help knowing how to get started. I don’t have a sewing machine so good recommendations would be great with those as well as tools I might need, and most off how should I start collecting the fabric and store them. Very confused with everything! If you ladies also have other great ideas on what to use my clothes for Id LOVE to hear them.

by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
CharleneW
by Group Owner on Jan. 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I have a BROTHER sewing machine.  Its cheaper than most but still works great.  I would start, if you are wanting to make clothes, with a super simple pattern!!!  Cheap fabric so if you mess up .... you haven't ruined anything you paid $10.00 a yard for.  And JUMP IN...... its overwhelming at first but after a while you'll be a pro!!!  Good luck and have fun.

CuttinUp
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

When you are buying a sewing machine, you need to ask yourself a few questions first.  The anwsers  you give will help you decide what to buy.

Are you just wanting to sew as a hobby for a little while or do you think this will be something you will want to do for years?  People go to craft shows with their creations...does that interest you?  How much money do you have to spend on a machine?  Do you have a place to set this up or do you plan on working at your kitchen table?  Do you value brand names and which do you know well?

If  you are just doing this for now to see if you like it, buy whatever.  Ask questions, however.  Many of the ceaper machines are made with plastic parts.  They will be great for now, but won't last over the years.  Check  to see if they can be worked on.  Machines have moving parts and are subject to wear and malfunctions. 

Starting off with a straight-stitch machine will be great, but before long you will want to do more!  Sewing is addictive that way! 

The amount of money you have to spend will influence your choice greatly.  If you only want to put a little into it to see if you like it, you can buy a cheaper machine.  But if you have some money to spend, go to a sewing shop and check out what they have.  Ask loads of questions.  Ask, too, if they have a repairman in the shop.  Ask what he thinks about a good machine.  He will be a lot of help...after all, he sees them all.

Just because a machine is expensive doesn't mean it is great.  Do your homework and see what you like that will do the jobs you want to do.  I wanted to give myself room to grow, but I didn't have all the money in the world.  I bought a machine that did some things, but there were machines that did far more. 

Also keep in mind that some machines have solid state computers inside.  When they go bad, it will be expensive to repair.  So shop wisely.

If you just want to try it to see if you like it, check out yard sales...especially estate sales.  They often have name brand old machines for a really cheap price tag.  Singer is a name that has been around for years.  There are others as well. 

Have fun.  Don't get so stressed that you do nothing.  Starting is always better that not starting at all.  Go for it and have fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)