Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Please Help!!!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 7:35 PM
  • 2 Replies

I have been breastfeeding for 5 weeks now and it is going great however when I sit down to pump is another story. It takes me 2 hours just to get 2 ounzes of milk! What can I do to increase this....Please Help. I would like to get out of the house and not have to supplement with formula because of this.

by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
zookeeperx3
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Are you having letdown when you pump? Sometimes it is just a matter of being somewhere quiet and able to relax. Once letdown happens I usually get 3 oz each side in a matter of min. My son is 3 months old tomorrow. I also find keeping a picture of baby that I can look at and thinking about how cute he looks curled up against me and the little noises he makes when he nurses helps my letdown.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 9, 2009 at 7:44 PM

OK never pump for 2 hours straight that can damage breast tissue.

Pumping outputs can vary between 1/2 oz to 2 oz and be normal..this is when a baby is not nursing ALL the time.

A Bf baby needs 1-1.25 oz an hour...so at your babies age most likely nursing every 2-3 hours baby would need 2-3 oz of milk in a bottle.

BEST times to pump are on the opposite side during morning feedings, about 1/2 way in between feedings, if you pump for 5-10 minutes after every session for a day you will get some good outputs too.

You can take herbs to raise supply just enough tp pump extra.

Many moms find that they don't respond well to a pump unless they pump very often, heck 2 oz was a MAX for me and I pumped 19.5 months.

If you are going out and taking baby with you then just nruse while out, if you need time away then nurse before leaving leave a 2-3 oz bottle and tell caregiver not to give it for 2-3 hours...you can be back and only miss one feeding and be gone 4-6 hours that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN