Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

A good Baby Sling/Wrap

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 12:07 AM
  • 22 Replies

Im looking for a good baby sling/wrap. Just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a comfortable & easy one.... Thanks

by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emschick38
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM

I Have a moby wrap and I love it. it is so awesome  cause it can be used so many dif ways. I can nurse DD who is 15 months. and carry her on my back hip and front. I have been using it since she was 2 months old

Amanda3983
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 12:56 AM

I have the pea in a pod sling. www.peainapodslings.com I really do like it especially because it doesn't have a ring to adjust or anything.  You just put the baby in it and it uses the baby and the snugness of the sling to hold the baby up.  I have to say though that I am still not very good about breastfeeding while wearing it.  It says you can do it but it takes getting used to and you should try it at home first.  I just can't find a way to do it and be descrete.  I have large breast though. I like that as the child gets older you can use the side carry and still have your hands free if you need them.

Hope this helps.

Amanda

my4littlemen
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 1:05 AM

I have always used a sling www.overtheshoulderbabyholder.com I have used this with all of mine. I bought it at one of my LLL mtgs YEARS ago. I used it all the time especially if my son was having a Asthma flare up. I didn't want him walking/running and working himself up. He was over 4 before he out grew it. and over 65lbs. I could do anything in my sling. I loved putting him on my back and cleaning or making dinner and he would fall asleep.....precious! My now 20+ old is currently getting use out of it. He doesn't enjoy it was much at his older brothers did. Maybe b/c he wants to get down and play with the older boys?? I have also heard wonderful things about the Ergo (spl??)

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
go_romanovs
by on Oct. 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Check out this article to help you pick yours.

http://www.wearingbabies.com/article/types_of_slings

and

http://www.wearingbabies.com/article/how_to_choose_a_baby_carrier

I hope it helps :)

I loved me my stretchy wrap that I made (no sewing required) for myself when my baby was tiny, I love me my woven, non-stretchy wrap now (I have a Dydimos and a Bebina), I also LOVE me my mei tai, that I also made and I really love my ring slings and water pouches! :)) I use them all and love them all for different reasons.

I make slings, what's your superpower?

Carly67
by on Oct. 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM

If anyone is interested I have some brand new in the package with instruction Sleepy Wraps ( I am an infant/child retailer)  I have only a few left and I have them on sale.  I am selling them for 35.95 with free priority shipping anywhere in the USA.  If you have a paypal account I can send you an invoice, I have purple, orange, blue and green available.  I am a power seller on ebay and my id on ebay is guitmath and you will see I am a reputable power seller.  Send me a message if you would like one.  Thanks.

bulldogb
by on Oct. 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I tried an over the shoulder baby holder and it just did not work for me.  I am large breasted and it seemed like for it to feel like the baby was secure it had to ride too low.  I ended up with a moby wrap and I love it!  It isn't quite as quick and easy to use as a sling but I simply put mine on at home before I go out and then pop Avin in once we get to where we are going. Now that I've used it a few time I can put it on in about 45 seconds.  It can be used a ton of different ways.  I especially like that it keeps my hands completely free---great for shopping.  Over the weekend we went to an outdoor festival and I put him in it chest to chest and he fell asleep.  You can pull the wrap across the back of the babies head to hold it secure and it helps to keep the wind/sun off of the baby.  I strongly recommend finding a good baby store nearby and just going in and trying on several different kinds.  Good luck!

my4littlemen
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Quoting bulldogb:

I tried an over the shoulder baby holder and it just did not work for me.  I am large breasted and it seemed like for it to feel like the baby was secure it had to ride too low.  I ended up with a moby wrap and I love it!  It isn't quite as quick and easy to use as a sling but I simply put mine on at home before I go out and then pop Avin in once we get to where we are going. Now that I've used it a few time I can put it on in about 45 seconds.  It can be used a ton of different ways.  I especially like that it keeps my hands completely free---great for shopping.  Over the weekend we went to an outdoor festival and I put him in it chest to chest and he fell asleep.  You can pull the wrap across the back of the babies head to hold it secure and it helps to keep the wind/sun off of the baby.  I strongly recommend finding a good baby store nearby and just going in and trying on several different kinds.  Good luck!

The Over The Shoulder Baby Holder comes in different sizes depending on YOUR weight/height. Could it be possible that your sling was to big for your body type? I have never used anything else. If I did I wonder that I would say about it after something different? I am NOT large breasted (at all) so maybe that is the difference? Glad you found something that works for you:o)

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
Missbehaves
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I made my own moby - style wrap and I made 2 of them for $5.00 ($1.00/yd fabric from WalMart) .  5-6 yards (depending on your size) of jersey material.  Cut in half down the middle length-wise and you have 2 long strips of fabric - aka a Moby!  Here's a link on how to tie it : http://www.wrapyourbaby.com/pocketwrapcrosscarry.htm .  So easy and comfortable too.  I just spent all day at Ikea yesterday with my 10 month old in it. 

go_romanovs
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM

you guys are so lucky! Our wal-marts here DO NOT HAVE the right fabric! They have stretchy but it's all slinky polyesther that is way too thin and way too stretchy.. and I wouldn't want to wrap my baby in polyesther :(

I make slings, what's your superpower?

KadenTaeasmom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I LOVE my moby wrap.  It's super comfy , but can be a little hot in the summer.  My son is 15 months, and we still use ours all the time.  The first time I used it was when I was sick with the flu, and had a fever of 104, and I was immediately sold, because it didn't make anything hurt (well, worse than it already did).  I have a very clingy child, and I think the moby is the only reason I kept my sanity while I was sick, because it didn't take any extra effort to carry him around.  I also have a ring sling that I made that I like, I used the maya wrap pattern.  but it did hurt my shoulder after a while of carrying my daughter around.  It was really easy to nurse with the ring sling though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)