Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

question....

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM
  • 18 Replies

I just had a baby a day ago, I was wanting to strictly breastfeed but now I have to pump because he is a premie... Well how long does it take to get your milk?? I been pumping and the most I have ever got was like 20 ml or whatever the thing is and then the rest is 10 ml or below I am getting frustrated and aggravated.. everybody keeps tellin me to keep doing it but when does the real stuff come in..

by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WilliamsMama08
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 2:57 AM

Within the first 3-5 days, sometimes a little longer.

ben127
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 3:07 AM

how early was the baby? how often are you pumping and for how long? what kind of pump are you using?

ameee
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Congrats on your new baby!! You milk usually comes in by the 3rd to 5th day.

FUNNY BREASTFEEDING, MATERNITY, AND BABY T-SHIRTS AND GIFTS.

http://www.cafepress.com/hotmommatees/4559960

butterflyblu
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 12:24 PM

My milk didn't come in until the 4th day and my son was full-term. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 17, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Milk takes as long as six days to come in...so keep pumping. Everyone is telling you the straight scoop.

Proudmama2009
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Born at 35 weeks.. Its the Medela (sp??) that the hospitals use and about every 2 hours-4 hours because I am having so much trouble even getting my stuff to come out

Quoting ben127:

how early was the baby? how often are you pumping and for how long? what kind of pump are you using?

terribeari
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 7:57 PM

My milk came in on day 3 for both of my babies. My daughter was born at 35 weeks and I had to pump for the first couple of weeks. At first i would just get a few drop of colostrum and it gradually increased and then turned to milk. By day 5 or so, I was pumping 6+ oz every 3 hours and she was only eating 1 1/2 oz. My milk was overtaking the fridge at the hospital! Just be patient, it will come.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM
Quoting Proudmama2009:

Born at 35 weeks.. Its the Medela (sp??) that the hospitals use and about every 2 hours-4 hours because I am having so much trouble even getting my stuff to come out

Make it every two....the more you pump, the better because your body will gt the "get moving" signal.

go_romanovs
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 11:26 PM

You are doing a great job! Just keep at it. You can't pump much because it is still collostrum, it is like GOLD to the baby - it's packed with antibodies (they call it baby's 1st immunization), and other good stuff, it is very very RICH, so only small amount is necessary. Also, studies have shown that if the mother who is unable to breastfeed right away doesn't pump regularly, she is less likelly to produce adequate amounts of milk later.

So, hang in there! You are doing a great job, it's hard work, but is SO WORTH IT!

I make slings, what's your superpower?

Tiffatoe
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Your only getting a little because it colostrum, keep going your baby need that stuff, especially as a preemie. Your milk won't come in for at least 3-5 days, trust me, you will know. You will wake up thinking 'Did I have a baby or breast implants?' GL and congrats!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN