Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son will NOT take a bottle (long but I need HELP)

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son is almost 8 months old. I've had to go back to work part-time and may go back full-time eventually. My SIL keeps him while I'm working. He absolutely refuses the bottle and cup. He's never really drank from a cup, more just biting on it. She's tried three different kinds of cups and three or four different kinds of bottles. He just won't drink from a bottle/cup... He likes to drink from our cups when we have drinks so I told her to put some breast milk in a regular cup and he won't even take it that way. He won't take formula either. We've tried three different kinds.

What I don't understand is that right after he was born he was taking a bottle of breastmilk or formula from her with no problems. Then I finished college and stayed home with him (I guess that was my mistake... I stopped giving him a bottle completely). And now he won't have anything to do with it.

I hate it that I'm at work all day while he is refusing to eat. He does take some baby food so I do feel better knowing he is getting SOMETHING but it still bothers me that he won't take breastmilk... Is there something wrong with my breastmilk?

I still nurse him when he is with me b/c I don't want to completely stop nursing him but I feel as if that may be my only choice.

Someone told me to tell my SIL to offer NOTHING but the bottle all day while she has him and he will eventually take it. To me that sounds like starving him and I don't want to do that. He is close enough to that already, in my opinion.

Does anyone have any advice? Anyone ever had this problem? I'm just torn and don't know what to do.

by on Oct. 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kameronsmommy08
by on Oct. 19, 2009 at 10:30 PM

My son is 14 months and still refuses, so I am no help. I really wish he would take something else, I am so ready to stop bf.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 19, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Sticky at the top of this forum...but sounds like you've got a reverse cycler. It's fine. Not anything to worry about. Nothing wrong with your milk. He just doesn't like it "canned."

pinkmommy3
by on Oct. 19, 2009 at 11:41 PM

me too!!... but have you tried a cup with a straw??  that is the only thing my daughter will drink out of since she was 8 months.. she still points at my chest every two seconds and I hand her a cup with a straw.. she'll drink it until I give in and let her nurse :)

Quoting kameronsmommy08:

My son is 14 months and still refuses, so I am no help. I really wish he would take something else, I am so ready to stop bf.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Im a Married(to an AMAZING man), Breastfeeding, Former Formula-Feeding, Selective-Vaccine Giving, Pro-Life, Circumcizing, Co-Sleeping, Non-Judging, Jesus Loving, Stay at home Christian Mommy of 3 BEAUTIFUL wonderful amazing children!! :)
kameronsmommy08
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Oh I have tried every bottle and cup there is. He only wants the boob. I am so over this! lol 

katznkt
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Offer nothing but the bottle or cup of your choice and if he is hungry he will eat.... I promise. It isn't mean... babies are humans, they will not refuse food to the point of starvation.  

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Hubby and I can't wait to meet our new addition!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 21, 2009 at 2:21 AM
Quoting kameronsmommy08:

Oh I have tried every bottle and cup there is. He only wants the boob. I am so over this! lol 

If you are around when anything else is offered it will be rejected. You must be ABSENT.

And when they're truly hungry they WILL eat. Which is actually a good thing. We only want them to eat when truly hungry, not as a distraction or anything else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)