Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

help weaning my 21MO

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM
  • 5 Replies

First off, I never planned to wean any my children, i have always planned to let them wean themselves. But i'm pregnant now and my nipples are so sore and my DD nurses all day and all night and will hardly eat solids or drink anything, if i refuse to nurse her and try to give her somthing else she refuses to eat and insists on nursing. i would like her down at most 3 nursings a day, once in the morning, once at naptime and once when she goes to sleep. but as is, she wakes up two or three times a night to nurse, she nurses for a full hour in the morning, nurses two or three times before naptime, then at naptime and then several times between naptime and bedtime. It's driving me insane, i hurt constantly, i can't get anything done because i'm so tierd all the time so i really need some advice on how to get her to eat more solids and not nurse so much.

Jenna, live in GF to John (5-25-06) EBF, self-weaning, ERF, Part Time BW, CD, Non-Vaxing, anti-CIO, Co-sleeping, SAHM to my beautiful little girl Amythyst Rose (1-20-08)

pregnant

pregnancy

pregnancy week by week
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 20, 2009 at 1:30 PM

All I can offer are the weaning strategies in the sticky above. Drop a feeding a week till gone. Don't say no, say not now and stretch out the time between feedings. Shrink the time of an actual session by a minute or so every couple of days.

No,. she won't be happy, no matter what you do. But you're going to have to choose here and decide whose misery needs alleviating more. **smile**

mydoug
by on Nov. 2, 2009 at 6:18 PM

first of all way to go for breast feeding for that long.  now i would get a certin nipple that looks like a real nipple i think it is a gerber product but id try that with breast milk in it than slowly go for a sippy and so on.

hbarlow
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Sorta going through the same thing... distract, distract, distract her. Keep moving, don't wear low-cut, easy-access clothing. And, no means no. I am due in a couple of weeks with #2, and I took a 4 month break from breastfeeding. It was much needed in the beginning of my pregnancy. Not only because of the pain, but my hormones I think made me so antsy while breastfeeding. I hope you find the strength to wean her... at least for a while to give yourself a break. After only breastfeeding my daughter 1 time a day for 4 months, I'm back to feeding her 3x's a day now, when she wakes up in morning, wakes up from nap, and 1 time in the evening. And only for about 20-25 min a time. I don't mind it at all now, in fact, I think it's helping me in this last little part of my pregnancy. I'm doing much better this pregnancy than I was with her. Good luck!

Gaberielle
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 5:06 PM

thanks guys, i've been giving her bottles during the day because she hates sippy cups but wants somthing to suck on so most days shes only getting 4 nursings though they still last forever because once shes on i can't get her off -.- 

Jenna, live in GF to John (5-25-06) EBF, self-weaning, ERF, Part Time BW, CD, Non-Vaxing, anti-CIO, Co-sleeping, SAHM to my beautiful little girl Amythyst Rose (1-20-08)

pregnant

pregnancy due date

http://gapc-vote.com/?p=1875033
hmommy07
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM

i don't know what to say, except that i  am in the same boat.  my daughter is almost 21 months and won't drink anything but breastmilk.  i loose count on how many times we nurse during the day and at night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN