Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) Safe?

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 10:38 PM
  • 7 Replies

I apparently have the flu after getting the flu shot a week ago. So the doc (military doc I might add) gave me Sudafed and KellyMom.com says it's an L3. I usually stay in the L1 or L2 catagory for medicines. Do you think it is okay to take? Has anyone taken it while nursing?

by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2ben
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I wouldn't take it!  Sudafed completely messed up my supply with DS #1.  It took me a long time to build it back up.

butterflyblu
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 12:41 AM

My doctor said it's safe during pregnancy, but it is a class C drug so I generally avoid those.  http://www.safefetus.com/ says it's compatible with breastfeeding though and didn't mention any side effects. 

kuti_babigurl
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 12:46 AM

i took it while pregnant with my first one, i didnt know much about all the meds then i just did what the doc said. idk about nursing, personally i wouldnt, i didnt take it with my second pregnancy.

graciejoe
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I wouldn't take it.  I can't take it anyway because in increases heart rate so I can't be certain. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 21, 2009 at 2:14 AM

It's not one I'd choose to take, as it can impact supply.

owensmommy1122
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 6:49 AM

thanak you all ladies. i have really bad congestion....is there anything otc i can take or should i just let it take care of itself? oh and my son will be 2 next month and i was leaning towrds weaning him after that so we can tcc. so if it messed with supply i suppose that would be ok....i just want no harm done to my son in the proccess.

MomofMiracle
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 7:07 AM

Quoting owensmommy1122:

thanak you all ladies. i have really bad congestion....is there anything otc i can take or should i just let it take care of itself? oh and my son will be 2 next month and i was leaning towrds weaning him after that so we can tcc. so if it messed with supply i suppose that would be ok....i just want no harm done to my son in the proccess.

The plain mucinex won't mess with supply.  The DM and others will, though.  Mucinex has saved me this week!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN