Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

14mo old hardly eats any solids..need help!

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM
  • 11 Replies

I am worried that my son isn't getting enough solids. He breastfeeds still, which is good but he doesn't really eat anything. He will occasionally ask for stuff off of our plates but when I sit him down to eat he just plays. He will eat crackers and some cheese, chicken, fruit, but only  a few bites here and there. I am not worried about his weight or growth I just am concerned because he wants to nurse so much. Should I even be worried?? I want to continue to breastfeed him till he is 2 but I also want him to actually eat food.

by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mefingas
by Member on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I am not an expert but I will tell you what I think.  I know that my daughter wouldn't eat much till one day she just started eating everything in sight.  I would just keep on offering him food. I know that the first finger foods my daughter ate where fruit, she loves fruit and peas.  She is 16 months old now and will eat meat and eggs off and on.  I just keep on trying.  Plus it seemed that she was more likely to eat real food if we were out.  For snacks she used to get Special K crackers, I don't know why but she loved them and also gerber fruit puffs and yogurt bites.  I would just keep on offering food.  Good luck.

augiemom
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I had this very same worry.  My son is now 18 1/2 mos and is just now finally interested in eating.  Prior to this he would take a nibble here and a nibble there.  Most days he ate nothing except a few cheerios and some days nothing at all (he wouldn't even drink juice from a sippy...I am like what kid does not like juice???).  He didn't even really like fruit.  I was very worried.  Like your son, mine nursed alot.  He finally ate some chicken yesterday (this is only the second time he has eaten it).  We have never had any problems with growth or development and finally I was tired of worrying about it!  I finally just said he will eat when he is ready and I just offered whatever I ate.  Now, he is finally at least trying something each time I eat.  As long as your baby is growing and developing and you are offering foods, I wouldn't worry.  I guess some kids just take longer to want to eat solids. Good luck.

go_romanovs
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Breastmilk is very rich in callories and nutritious. It's also yummy and comes in wonderful soft and cuddly containers that in their turn come with the baby's favorite person in the world! I am so not surprised that he, being still so little, prefers momma's milk to anything else!

He does eat some solids and that's totally normal for his age. Just keep eating healthy stuff in front of him, making him a part of every meal. Make healthy snacks available and accessible. Eventually he will start eating more. Make sure you make water available too. The more solids he eats, the more water he will need. Just don't sweat it, don't push it. A healthy child won't starve himself.

I make slings, what's your superpower?

b130
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Thanks ladies I feel better now! At his 1 yr appointment the ped told me that I needed to pump and see how much milk I was producing cause she didn't think he was getting enough and I would have to supplement, which I didn't. He is healthy and VERY VERY active! I am glad that there are other children out there who do the same thing. My worries are at rest for the moment. THank you all!

go_romanovs
by on Oct. 26, 2009 at 9:15 PM

oh, goodness, that is SUCH a bad idea! You'll never pump as much as your baby is getting!

I make slings, what's your superpower?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 26, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Have you thought about making sure to put extra on your plate and when he seems interested purposely move the food from your plate to his?  It worked for my friends daughter.

I think at this point your LO should be fine on mostly BM but just keep offering....

bltcahill
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Kids are such funny little buggers.  My 16 m/o just weaned and went through a phase after we went to mostly solids where he definitely still preferred milk, then he wouldn't eat anything chunky at all only smooth pureed stuff.  Then all of a sudden a switch flipped and he wants nothing to do with babyfood, only table food.  And tonight at dinner he picked and barely ate at something I KNOW he loves, but then about 15 minutes later I offered him a bite off my fork. He stole my fork, and used it to clean everything off his tray.  As long as he's getting enough calories/nutrients one way or another, don't worry about it.  Just keep offering, and one day he'll decide to do it all on his own, and before you know it he'll be using chopsticks lol.  Try introducing fun, colorful utensils and bowls to get him interested.  Also if you're nursing before meals, try switching to afterward.  Good luck, it only gets crazier from here! 

What!?! You ate a whole orange last week, what do you mean they're yucky?  You want PB&J for dinner?  You had it for breakfast and lunch already!  Since when are you vegetarian?

eye rolling

b130
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I know!! That is why I decided to find another pediatrican. Well that and a few other things. I feel that if my son is eating, whether it be nursing or eating some solids and he is growing he is fine. Children grow at their own rates.  She told me that if I didn't have 24 oz of milk a day then I would have to supplement either with cow's milk or formula. I didn't listen. He eats when he is hungry and he is growing. He isn't a fat kid, he is really lean, but he runs around like crazy, the only time he stops moving around is when he is sleeping!!!

EddiesGirl8400
by on Dec. 23, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I am so glad to see this post! My daughter is 13 months old, and I was FREAKING out cause, she prefers to nurse rather than eat, she too will take a few bites of food here and there, but not an actual meal! Glad to see I am not the only one.

lory5679
by on Jan. 14, 2010 at 9:52 PM

thank you ladies I feel so much better my 9mth old has very little interest in baby food but loves moms milk,I am not going to worry he is growing great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)