Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 months old, still eating every 2 hrs!

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM
  • 16 Replies

At my sons last checkup at 4 months, his pediatrician told me to stop getting up with him at night to feed him bc he wont learn to sleep through the night on his own. Well I didn't listen to him because 1. Im breastfeeding and I dont want to hurt my supply and 2. If my son is screaming to eat, I am not going to let him scream and get really upset. Well my son will be 5 months in a couple of days and he still gets up every couple of hrs to nurse. Could it be, Im not making enough milk to keep him satisfied through the night or is it normal for him to continue to get up. I figure other breastfeeding mommy's know better than a man whos never breastfed, even if he has MD after his name :)

by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
callie06
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I don't know so here's a bump.

luvbeingmama
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:29 PM

its normal....all babies are different.  my baby is 7 months old and still wakes to eat.  but i have noticed that since i decided to cosleep, she sleeps better.  cosleeping isnt for everybody though.

amp4483
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:34 PM

for my sons first 10 weeks, i had him in a cosleeper bassinet attached to my side of the bed. after that my husband wanted him in his own room. i miss having jason in our room. i slept much better with him in there! lol

Quoting luvbeingmama:

its normal....all babies are different.  my baby is 7 months old and still wakes to eat.  but i have noticed that since i decided to cosleep, she sleeps better.  cosleeping isnt for everybody though.

chuckees_luvee
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:39 PM

both my kids nursed every 2 hours until about 6 months or maybe even longer. but they'd "snack" for just a couple minutes and be done. I'm sure yours is getting plenty, but likes to snack like mine did!

amp4483
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:42 PM

i think your right about being a snacker, there are times he eats for a few minutes and then just stops. when i was talking about it to my mother in law she said its because im not producing enough, however, i ignore her!haha

Quoting chuckees_luvee:

both my kids nursed every 2 hours until about 6 months or maybe even longer. but they'd "snack" for just a couple minutes and be done. I'm sure yours is getting plenty, but likes to snack like mine did!

Mom71307
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:48 PM

TOTALLY "norma;"!  Whatever that is!  My daughter slept "through the night" very early... around 1 month but as soon as she started teething, she was up often again.  It was every 2-3 hours again.  Once the first teeth popped through, she slept better for a little while but as soon as new ones were close, it was up every few hours again.  She learned to sleep through the night at 18 months on her own with no help or coercion from either me or my husband... she was ready.  She is now 27 months and sleeps great most of the time... when she has a problem, she is easily comforted and goes back to sleep easily.  I attribute some of this to us always coming to her and giving her what she needed when she was younger!

"And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." --Romans 8:28
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 25, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Normal normal normal normal normal normal normal.

What would be weird is if he slept a lot more. **grin**

All is well. Nothing broken.

kmstockwell
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 1:00 AM

My doc, who I love by the way, told me the same thing with my DS, as did friends and family... well I didn't agree for the same reasons you listed.  My son continued to get up AT LEAST once per night for almost his entire first year and we did cosleeping and separate rooms (he did sleep longer once he was in his own bed).  And I know he got plenty cuz he would have at least 2 poop diapers a day and gained and met milestones and all that jazz.  He just needed to eat and I fed him.  I'm the mama, that is my job :)

amp4483
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Thanks ladies!

go_romanovs
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I'll join in the choir ;) It's normal. We have to remember that they don't always nurse for food. It could be just comfort nursing in between sleep cycles. Or may be he needs to pee and is not comfortable with his full bladder. Or he is teething. Or had too much stimulation during the day.. or too little :))

And doctors.. well, they mean well. But in all their training they only have like 2 hours on Breastfeeding. So most of the breastfeeding information they share is just personal beliefs. Of course there are exceptions, but sadly, they are rare.

I make slings, what's your superpower?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)