Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

ouch! bad latch

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 12:16 AM
  • 3 Replies

My son is 11 weeks old and just in the last couple days he's developed a poor latch.  He chomps down or it is really painful when he sucks.  I don't know whats going on.  He also has been pulling off and that hurts really bad too.  

Anyone have any idea what's caused him to change his suck or any ideas how to fix it?  I'm at my wits end!  

Thanks.

by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
erinj
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM

oh!  and he's been really squirmy when I'm trying to nurse him.

BellahMom
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Is he gaining well got enough poopy and wet daipers? Sounds like the beginning stages of teething maybe or he likes the reaction he gets out of you. Do you yell out? He is not too young to see action and reaction LOL.

It is a phase, you need to when you can set him down when he does it. Just tell him when he does it the first time "no no that hurts mommy" or some thing like that and then if he does it again put him down for a min and let him see that when he does that he doesnt get what he wants. Also if he is really wiggley and wont stay latched maybe he doesnt want to nurse although my son did that every min. of every time he nursed for almost 2 years LOL!

erinj
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Yes he's gaining well and having lots of wet/poopy diapers so I know he's getting enough.  I have tried not having any reaction when he chomps down and I remove him from breast.  It seems his overall latch has changed and that is causing the pain.  Maybe he is teething?  I didn't see anything when I looked in his mouth earlier.  But my 1st got teeth pretty early...  thanks for the advise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN