Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need TO Know

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2007 at 2:45 PM
  • 8 Replies
Is a electric breast better than a hand held one?
by on Feb. 14, 2007 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mimomof3boys
by on Feb. 14, 2007 at 2:49 PM
In my opinon yes they are. When my oldest was born I had a manual hand held one. UGH! It took forever. So we went and got a dual electric one! WOW ! My pumping got done in half the time...plus I could do both sides at the same time. Not that it mattered....none of my kids took bottles! HA! I used the Medela electiric pump and the Advent hand held one (which broke after a few weeks).
luvmyguyandgirl
by on Feb. 14, 2007 at 3:00 PM
It really depends on how much you need/want to pump.  I have to pump because I work, so I chose to invest in the Medela double electric pump.  I got it when my first was born and now using it again for my second.  They are expenseive, but it was a good purchase for me.  They are also available to rent if you want to just try it out.  The hospital's lactation consultant can help you with that.  I don't like pumping (love b/f, but hate pumping) so a manual would never do for me!  But, like I said I am working and pump a lot.
loribbi
by on Feb. 14, 2007 at 3:03 PM
I've tried both and I'd chose the electric pump if you need to pump on a regular basis.  The hand held ones I tried had to be used just right, or you'd end up with a lap of dripped milk.  The electric ones get a much better suction so that you can moved around a bit and still pump.  They are also much faster.  Medela Pump in Style is one of the best.

Lori
chubbnsmilemom
by on Feb. 14, 2007 at 3:03 PM
I have a hand pump and it works just fine, but my me pumping isn't in high demand. I do just in case my husband needs to feed him if I don't get home in time. But if you are going back to work, the electric would probably be best.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 14, 2007 at 5:16 PM
Depends on your needs. If you're working full time, then a double electric is the way to go. Medela Pump in Style, Ameda Purely Yours or a Whisperwear.

For occasional pumping, the Avent Isis is fantastic.
ekh2010
by Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Quoting chubbnsmilemom:

I have a hand pump and it works just fine, but my me pumping isn't in high demand. I do just in case my husband needs to feed him if I don't get home in time. But if you are going back to work, the electric would probably be best.

elise527
by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM
I have had 3 miscarriages and now I am preg again. I had my 5 week ultrasound today and there walk a sac but no yolk. I am so nervous I am about to miscarry again. Has anyone gone through something similar and had a healthy pregnancy.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Post this is the pregnancy group. This is posted as a comment in the breastfeeding group under a post about breast pumps.

Quoting elise527:

I have had 3 miscarriages and now I am preg again. I had my 5 week ultrasound today and there walk a sac but no yolk. I am so nervous I am about to miscarry again. Has anyone gone through something similar and had a healthy pregnancy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)