Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Low Milk and I'm a diabetic

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 7:19 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi all,

the long and short of it is I am only making 2-4 oz a day. breastfed exclusively for first 3 days but due to low supply his sugar levels kept dropping in the hospital, so we had to introduce formula. I am pumping 8x a day with one of those times being a power hour. I am diabetic so i can't take any of those supplements, and my endocrinologist won't prescribe glucophage b/c she says it isn't safe for breastmilk, even though i have shown evidence that it is safe. I am hell bent on providing breastmilk through the winter for the antibodies since he is too young to vaccinate. I am drinking at least 64oz fluid a day and eating a bowl of oatmeal a day.. Im also doing guided imagery when im pumping, and im taking him to the breast 2x day just so he doesn't forget the nipple.

any other suggestions? Im really starting to resent the fact that I have to do all of this, and I know that isn't good for milk production.

by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stacyemmy
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I would try to put him on the breast as much as possible. Because if he doesn't get enough at the breast you can always follow up with a bottle..

pregnant

baby

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM

You;re doing EVERYTHING humanly possble. I don't know that Reglan or domperidone are viable options in your case.

At this point: Know that you're doing everythying that CAN be done and cut yourself a break.

AnneWilliams
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM

thank you so much for validating that for me.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 4, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Have you thought about using a supplimental nursing system, that way all feeds are done at the breast and he may get more milk than what you can pump...baby is always better than the pump.  This can help raise supply WAY more than the pump...after each nursing pump for 5-10 min and whatever youc anpump can be used in the SNS and you can use formula or donated milk for the rest.  My friend had diabetes and took gluophage while nursing.  I would get a second opinion on that and a letter from the LC too.  Also have your thyroid tested.  YOu CAN take Reglan and Domperidone...those are prescription meds that raise supply.

anapatita7
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM

It might sound crazy but everytime I drink lemonade I see a good increase in my milk supply, and you can always add your sweetener. HTH!! Ah, and I agree on putting the baby on thr\e brest more often.

AnneWilliams
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 11:23 AM

the LC just informed about the SNS the other day.. im going to buy it online now... thanks for the advice... 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Have you thought about using a supplimental nursing system, that way all feeds are done at the breast and he may get more milk than what you can pump...baby is always better than the pump.  This can help raise supply WAY more than the pump...after each nursing pump for 5-10 min and whatever youc anpump can be used in the SNS and you can use formula or donated milk for the rest.  My friend had diabetes and took gluophage while nursing.  I would get a second opinion on that and a letter from the LC too.  Also have your thyroid tested.  YOu CAN take Reglan and Domperidone...those are prescription meds that raise supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN