Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 7:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

OK so this is my situation. My daughter is 9 weeks and I was put on the mini pill and I also had to have a biopsy done for possible malignant melinoma (so I am stressed) but this is my problem. I started the mini pill a week and one half ago, and the dr told me that it might slow down my milk production. Well I have noticed over the last week it was a little slower, but then yesterday and today.. NOTHING  just a few drops here and there. My daughter sucks and sucks and then gets mad because nothing is there.....I dont know what to do. I have been drinking TONS and also eating oatmeal. Please anybody help me. I do NOT want to formula feed my daughter. I do not want to give up but I dont want her to starve either. Help help help

by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ScottsWifeSusan
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 7:54 PM

bump...anybody on here?

kenziesmom313
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 7:58 PM

YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO THE DR AND ASK FOR SURE. AND THERE IS A BIRTH CONTROL PILL THAT IS MADE FOR BREAST FEEDING MOTHERS YOU SHOULD ASK THE ASAP

toddler girlbaby gift

Bren07
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM

as the diaper count is good (6-8 in 24hrs) than she is getting enough..the mini pill should not effect supply..atleast that it wut i have read and was told..she could be going through a growth spurt?
do u feel let down?
how many diaper is she having?
how do u know there is nothing?

HI! im a 20 yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

ScottsWifeSusan
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 10:11 PM

She always had a ton of wet diapers and now she is getting them but only very LIGHT wet diapers. She isnt getting much of anything because she is getting mad and pulling her head back and screaming. I try to pump as well and NOTHING (maybe a drop or two will be in the bag) I do NOT want my supply to go away, so I need to know what I can do. 

KyriesMommy
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Try oatmeal and mothers milk tea I found it at HyVee groceries in the heath food section. I eat a large boal of oatmeal and drink a cup of tea, and within the hour I feel fuller... so I only use it on days when I wake up and don't feel full and I know my little guy will be hungry...

pandjmom4ever
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 10:36 PM

What is the name of the birth control they put you on?  I took Camilla and had no problems besides getting pregnant again when my daughter was 15 months and I breastfed her till she was 19 months.  I would try to nurse her as much as possible, drink a ton of water and eat oatmeal.  Are you taking any other meds??  I know antihistamines  tend to mess with your supply.  Hope things get better for you soon!! 

I BREASTFED MY BABY GIRL TILL SHE WAS 19 MONTHS!!

I BREASTFED MY BIG BOY FOR 14 MONTHS!

I am currently breastfeeding baby #3!!

Busymama07
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Try fenugreek too! That upped my supply a LOT when I was having issues.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM

The minipill is known to cause issues for some moms. Dump it immediately and nurse as usual.

And relax. This is 100% fixable...just nurse. Drink water. And switch to something with NO hormones. Paraguard IUD is one possible choice.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 4, 2009 at 10:58 PM
Quoting ScottsWifeSusan:

She always had a ton of wet diapers and now she is getting them but only very LIGHT wet diapers.

Hmm. May or may not be an issue...pour four tablespoons water into a dry dipe. THAT is a wet. More than that is two wets.

She isnt getting much of anything because she is getting mad and pulling her head back and screaming.

Oh,. that's normal! We bond so we won't toss 'em out the window. **grin**

I try to pump as well and NOTHING (maybe a drop or two will be in the bag)

Pump output is meaningless.

I do NOT want my supply to go away,

It would take a double mastectomy or injections of estrogen for that to happen fast. So relax.

so I need to know what I can do. 

Dump the birth control. Tell hubby it's condoms or nothing till you've decided on a non-hormonal alternative. (No, I have no pity on him. **smile**)

Nurse as usual. Expect the behavior through the weekend and be UNFAZED by it. Count her dipes.

pinkfroggy
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM

i would say to dump the pill immediately too.  within the first few days that i was put on the mini pill, my supply went to NOTHING!  i was already taking fenugreek, mother's milk tea.  he tried putting me on meds to get my supply back up, but it didn't really help. so i immediately got off the pill. for ME, it was either keep taking the pill and my supply go to nothing-so stop bf'ing or stop taking the pill so i could keep nursing. i chose to dump the pill.  i took fenugreek, at TONS of oatmeal and drank mother's milk tea and my supply went back up.  oh, and we are now about to enter our 15th month of nursing! woo hoo!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)