Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pierced Nipples

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 10:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have my nipples pierced but i want to breastfeed my baby when he comes which is on April 5th.  My question is do I take my nipple rings out now or do I wait until my third trimester due to possible infection?  If I get an infection now I can't take antibiotics.  I can in my third trimester per my Dr.

by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Deodhar
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 11:00 PM

bump 

rachelmm007
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 11:03 PM

i would take them out now...i had mine pierced and had a nasty infection but was not prego at the time. it was bad! i would just avoid the possibility of that all together! good luck :)

Deodhar
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 11:04 PM

If I take them out do I keep them covered and do I wash them with soap or just water?

Quoting rachelmm007:

i would take them out now...i had mine pierced and had a nasty infection but was not prego at the time. it was bad! i would just avoid the possibility of that all together! good luck :)

rachelmm007
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 11:09 PM

keep them covered but not tooo covered they need air to keep them dry. and if they get crusty or anything then use antibactirial soap a couple times a day or use a salt wash to dry them out.

Deodhar
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Thank you very much.....I really appreciate it.

Quoting rachelmm007:

keep them covered but not tooo covered they need air to keep them dry. and if they get crusty or anything then use antibactirial soap a couple times a day or use a salt wash to dry them out.

Ixchel183
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 11:13 PM

i don't know when you "should" take them out, but i took mine out the day after delivery. she breastfed right from birth but i took out the jewelry, fed her, put it back in, after a few rounds of that they were so sore i gave up. didn't have any infection or problems after taking them out. after we're done nursing i'll get them repierced.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Deodhar
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Oh man, I can just imagine how bad that hurt.  The breasts are so tender after pregnancy and nursing I can't even imagine trying to put the rings back afterward.  I have had mine for about 8 years.  I don't think I'll put mine back in after i'm done breastfeeding.   

Quoting Ixchel183:

i don't know when you "should" take them out, but i took mine out the day after delivery. she breastfed right from birth but i took out the jewelry, fed her, put it back in, after a few rounds of that they were so sore i gave up. didn't have any infection or problems after taking them out. after we're done nursing i'll get them repierced.

rachelmm007
by on Nov. 8, 2009 at 11:32 PM

your very welcome!!

Quoting Deodhar:

Thank you very much.....I really appreciate it.

Quoting rachelmm007:

Danniew09
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I took mine out the morning I went to the hospital.  The only problem I had was trying to get the left one out, since my nipples had gotten larger.  Whoops!  I did notice that my DD didn't care for bottles because they went too slow!  My doc had said the piercing would make it like an easy flow nozzle, and did it ever. 

Deodhar
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:38 PM

lol!!! I just read this.  That is too funny.  Did your baby gain a lot of weight with the triple spickets?  :)

Quoting Danniew09:

I took mine out the morning I went to the hospital.  The only problem I had was trying to get the left one out, since my nipples had gotten larger.  Whoops!  I did notice that my DD didn't care for bottles because they went too slow!  My doc had said the piercing would make it like an easy flow nozzle, and did it ever. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)