Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Best way to breastfeed??

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello - can one of you nursing pro's please tell me what the best way to breastfeed would be?? To be specific - is it best to let your baby nurse on one side the entire feeding time until they are done? Or is it best to do the 10-15minutes per side at each feeding??

Advice is greatly appreciated!!!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LKRA
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Nurse until baby leaves the breast on his own. No watching the clock. Nurse on demand. When he's done, burp him. If he is still hungry (i.e. not passed out from being milk drunk), nurse on the other side.

ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:59 PM

What LKRA said. Toss out the clock. You never want to time a feeding because you want baby to be able to get all of the rich hind milk before switching to the other side.

LKRA
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM

*jumps up and down* I love it when I get stuff right! LOL

Quoting ArmyMom2oneboy:

What LKRA said. Toss out the clock. You never want to time a feeding because you want baby to be able to get all of the rich hind milk before switching to the other side.

ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:08 PM

LOL! Me too! It's funny because I know that I know this stuff. I mean I have been studying everything breastfeeding for like forever. It's my job, so of course I know, yet I still find myself second guessing myself a lot and feel really good when one of the much more experience mommies says I am right. Especially Gdiamante since she knows everything! LOL!

Quoting LKRA:

*jumps up and down* I love it when I get stuff right! LOL

Quoting ArmyMom2oneboy:

AliceV
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM

After I had my daughter, I watched theclock b/c that's what my pediatrician said to do.  I found I was so stressed that neither one of us was happy.  I decided then and there to follow my new mommy instincts and let her nurse the way she wanted.  She was a slow eater and each nursing session lasted at least an hour.  I now have a 12 wk old son and he nurses faster, but I only watch the clock to keep him fed every three hrs.  Trust your instincts!

CafeMom Tickers
Amy614
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM

They got it!  Trust yourself!

kmac0915
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice ladies - I've taken all of your words to heart and have been doing better the past few days with nursing!!! THANK YOU. :O)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)