Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

refusing the bottle!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 2:39 AM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter is 11 weeks old and is only Bf, but I'm returning to work part time in a couple of weeks and she is refusing any and ALL bottles. I've tried them all.From Breastflow to Playtex nursers. When I try or anyone else trys to give her a bottle all she does is play with it and bite down on the nipple. Please does anyone have any advise for me. Maybe theirs some kind of trick I could do.

Thanks

by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
guzman314
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I had to return to work part time and my daughter refused a bottle.  I called her doctor and he said since I was only away for 6 hours she would either eat when she got hungry or wait until I got to her.  He said being away for a short time like that wouldnt hurt her because she was still getting plenty to eat while she was with me.  To this day at 10 months old, she still refuses a bottle, it is mommy milk from mommy or nothing.

Larue09
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I have this problem too, but my dd is 6 months. Her DR suggested to try spoon feeding her. I think your DR is right, if she is hungry enough she will eat and if not, she will get milk from you later!!

celestegood
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2009 at 8:41 AM

I have had two kids so far that had this problem.  My son who is now 8 actually was born with health problems, and had to be in the NICU for two weeks, in which time they allowed only bottle feedings with my breastmilk.  And he wouldn't eat from them.  No matter how hungry he was, he refused to suck from any bottle.  Even when they refused to feed him for 24 hours or so of a procedure, he wouldn't eat when it was time to eat after a day and a half of not eating.  I never did get him to eat from a bottle.  I agree with the other ladies-use a bottle that is good for nursers-orthadonic is good-and try turning the nipple upside down, and when you're gone, she will either eat from it or not-and she may be a breast only baby.  She will be ok.

But my mother did get my sister who wouldn't take bottles to take one.  She turned the nipple upside down with a playtex orthadonic nipple?  At any rate, have someone else give it to her and leave the house-so she can't smell you.  And it may work.  Or not.  I would pump, and have it available for her-have the bottles and milk ready for when you're gone.  If she won't eat from the bottle, maybe have them spoon feed her some rice cereal with breastmilk in it for when you're gone and she refuses to eat from the bottle.  She will be ok for that little time without you.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM

YOU don't give bottles. Period.

Hand her to someone else and take off for the day.

When hungry, baby will eat. If you're there, she's quite likely to refuse the bottle.

There's a post on this on our FAQs page...check it out at the top of the group.

Mom giving bottles as practice is a waste of mom's energy...there's no such thing as "getting them used to it." They take it or not.

And if not...not a problem. Reverse cycling is common...they make up for it when you're home.

luvbeingmama
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 3:17 PM

have you tried the MAM bottles?  I tried all kinds of bottles too but this is the only one that she would take and it took some coaxing.  If all else fails, get a syringe or dropper and feed her that way.  We had to do this for awhile too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)